Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Chocolate Chip Heart-shaped pan cookies

Sweet and Spicy Monkey has a new look! I’m changing a few things around here, trying to incorporate a Pinterest button if I can ever figure that out! Hopefully will have one soon so y’all can follow me on Pinterest too! Being stuck indoors for the last few days, I had to find something creative to do and now it’s snowing here in Georgia! So there might be some more changes {smile}.

Usually we don’t get that much snow in Georgia, maybe about 1"-2” for the year, if that, but these last couple days it has done nothing but snow. Right now where I live, we have about 4” of snow and it’s predicted to become about 6"-9” of snow over the next two days! Luckily, I live nowhere near Atlanta so no worries about snow jam here, but I did walk out to my street this morning and this is what I saw…


Here's my pups enjoying the snow!


Yep, looks like I’m stuck inside for the next 2 days or so until the sun comes back out and melts this snow and ice away.

In the meantime, I decided to bake some more Valentine Cookies! After all, it’s only a couple days away now, two to be exact! Thankfully, I made my stop at the grocery store earlier this week and stocked up on my baking supplies (lucky for you, {smile}).


For this recipe, I used the Nestle’ Toll House pan cookie recipe variation and added my M&M Valentine Red Velvet candies. After baking them and while they were still warm, I took my heart cookie cutter and made heart shaped cookies. If you like, you can also frost them. There you have it, very easy to make, heart shaped Valentine cookies that everyone will love!


Chocolate Chip Heart-shaped pan cookies

Ingredients

2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 Tablespoons corn starch (for fluffiness)

1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature

¾ cup granulated sugar

¾ cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 large eggs

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 cup M&M’s Red Velvet, milk chocolate candies



Directions

Preheat oven to 375F.

Spray a 15” x 10” cookie sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and corn starch. Set Aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla, blending until creamy.

Add eggs into sugar mixture and blend thoroughly.

Slowly add in the flour mix, blending until mixture becomes doughy.

Stir in chocolate chips and M&M candies, mixing throughout dough.

Plop dough onto prepared cookie sheet and spread with hands, using your fingers to fill cookie sheet with dough. *Its ok if you don’t get all the corners filled, the dough will expand and should fill in as it bakes.*

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Keep a watchful eye on it as it bakes, as the corners usually bake quicker.

Remove from oven and let cool for 1 minute.

Simply place cookie cutter over warm, baked pan cookie and make heart shaped cookies, wiggling cutter to ensure cut, leaving heart shaped cookies on the pan until thoroughly cooled.


Once cooled, use a spatula to remove cookies from cookie sheet to a wire rack.

Decorate with frosting. *Optional*

*Prep time - 40 minutes
*Makes about 28 heart-shaped cookies
*Store in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.

Here's to a sweet Valentine's Day to you! Xoxo


All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs. Or you can link back to this post for the recipe.