Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Homemade Coconut Ice Cream


Coconut is my new lemon! Don’t get me wrong now, I’m still loving all things lemon, but to give y’all a little variety, I’m trying all things coconut right now. After all, summer is just around the corner and coconut gives us that tropical feeling and makes us feel good when we can’t get away to the beach. And I think….no, scratch that….I know you are going to love this recipe for coconut ice cream because it requires no cooking, no baking, has only five ingredients, and gives you that tropical feeling that makes you smile and just say, Ahhhhhh! It’s the perfect summer treat.


I actually came across this recipe when I was trying to make something else, which I will share with y’all soon. I guess it’s true, some of the best things happen by mistake! I couldn’t wait to share this recipe with y’all right away because I absolutely love the creamy texture of this ice cream and I know it will be a great addition to your Father’s day Bar-B-Q outing this weekend.


Not only is this recipe easy to make but its dairy free, soy free, gluten-free, no added preservatives, no artificial coloring, no added sugar, and takes only about seven minutes to whip up (not counting letting it freeze overnight). How’s that for a simply sweet indulgence?

Let’s get to making this cuz if you’re anything like me, your mouth is watering by just looking at these pictures!


Homemade Coconut Ice Cream

Prep time – 7 minutes

Serves – 4 small bowls or 2 large bowls

Ingredients

1 cup Coconut milk, canned

1 cup Cream of coconut

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

½ teaspoon coconut extract

¼ cup shredded coconut *(optional)*


Directions

Add all ingredients into a blender. Place lid on and with setting on Puree, pulse until all ingredients are mixed well. Scrape sides with a spatula and puree for another minute.

Pour into a freezer safe bowl and freeze overnight.

Or if you don't have a blender ~

Add all ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Using either a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip for about 5 minutes until all ingredients are combined and there are no lumps.

Pour into freezer safe bowl and freeze overnight.

Can serve as is or top with shredded coconut, toasted coconut, coconut syrup, or anything to your liking. Enjoy!



*Helpful Hints *

- I've updated directions to include blender. By trying different ways, I've found the blender makes for a much better ice cream texture.

- Adding shredded coconut is optional. If you don’t like the texture of shredded coconut you can leave it out and still enjoy the delicious tropical taste of coconut. I love coconut, so I added it for texture.

- So ice cream is easier to scoop out before serving, let ice cream sit out for a couple minutes at room temperature.

- For a creamier ice cream, you can add 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar.

- Can also be made with an ice cream maker.

- All measurements are US

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Featured week of 06/21/2014 at ~ Savoring Saturdays #20

Featured week of 06/18/2014 at ~ Gluten-Free Wednesdays ~ 6-18-14

Shared with: Gluten-Free Wednesdays {June 11th}, Summer Celebration Link Party 06/12/2014, #glutenfreefridays #95, #Gethimfed Fridays {No. 39}, City of Links #23, Savoring Saturdays #19, Say G'day Saturday Linky Party {91}, Sweet & Savoury Sunday #66, Skip the Housework #23, Share it Sunday {32}, Snickerdoodle Sunday 06/15/2014, Recipe Sharing Monday #98 + Features!
 Mix it up Monday 06/15/2014, Inspiration Monday 06/15/2014, Busy Monday 118 , Munching Mondays #43, Share it One More Time Party and Features, Wake up Wednesday "Linky" #21, Tasty Tuesday: Banana Muffins & Link Party, The Southern Special Week 11, Wednesday Roundup Week 30 Link Party, Wine'd Down Wednesday 40, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday #5, Great Idea Thursdays 60, Pin it Thursday 06/18/2014, Inspire Us Thursday Link Party #55, Let's Get Real Friday Party #44, Friday Link Party #72 , Anything Goes Linky #159 and Features , Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends #33 , Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party 06/19/2014, The Makers No. 23

36 comments:

  1. I have to try this, sounds so good and perfect for summer! I love coconut and have been making homemade ice cream recently, too but nothing with coconut yet. Pinning this to make soon, thanks - and now following you on G+. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time making ice cream without my ice cream maker. Thanks for pinning Bernadyn! Added you on G+....Have a great day!!

      Delete
  2. Love this recipe - thank you! I don't have an ice cream maker and I really love coconut. It might be good with pineapple instead of the shredded coconut. I can't wait to try this. Thanks, again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, that's my next project Heather :) Thanks for stopping by & have a wonderful day!!

      Delete
  3. Me encantan los helados y más con el calor que hace ahora, aunque si te digo la verdad también me gustan en invierno jeje!!. Es que has hecho tiene un aspecto buenísimo y super cremoso, me lo apunto. Gracias y besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love coconut ice-cream - thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love this recipe Amber! Have a great day!!

      Delete
  5. I bet this is fabulous! Don't think I've ever had Coconut Ice Cream, which is just a shame - definitely going to give this recipe a try. :) Thank you for sharing at #GetHimFed Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a shame that you've never had coconut ice cream Jess! I love coconut, as you can see. If you're not a big fan of coconut because of the texture, adding the shredded coconut is optional and you will still have the coconut flavoring. Thanks for stopping by ;)

      Delete
  6. It's totally ice cream season. This looks amazing!! Found your recipe at Simple Supper Tuesday.  I am one of the hostesses of Tickle My Tastebuds and would love you to stop by and link up this recipe if you have not yet already. Here is the link
    http://bit.ly/1lNY6hK
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its totally ice cream season Lori and I'm loving it! Thanks for the invite and for stopping by ;)

      Delete
  7. My husband loves coconut, and I love ice cream! This is perfect for us to share! Thanks for linking up to Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope y'all enjoy this ice cream soon!! Have a great day ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh yum, Julie -- this sounds fabulous! Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle! Pinned! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dee & thanks for pinning!! Hope you have a wonderful week :)

      Delete
  9. Julie--I featured this recipe on Gluten-Free Wednesdays and plan to make it today for this month's meeting of the gluten-free support group I lead. :-) As I said on GFW, I ate coconut ice cream pretty much every day in Mexico last month, but it wasn't dairy free (which my body prefers), so I can't wait to try your recipe!

    Thanks!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley for featuring my recipe!! Just a note, it has to sit overnight to freeze up and I would suggest before serving to let it sit out for a couple minutes so its easier to scoop out. Hope you and your group like it ;)

      Delete
    2. Can I make this with an Ice Creme Freezer?

      Delete
    3. This recipe is intended for making without an ice cream maker/freezer and I have not yet tried making it with my ice cream maker. However, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use it in an ice cream maker since that is just a way of making ice cream and serving it up quicker than having to wait overnight. If you try making it with an ice cream maker, let me know how it turns out. I will have to try making it that way too here soon.

      Delete
  10. Sounds delicious, Julie. Thanks for sharing it at Savoring Saturdays. Can't wait to see what you link up this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raia and good to see you over here again!! :)

      Delete
  11. I have just started making coconut milk ice cream, I can't believe how delicious the vanilla flavoured ones are. This looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I love how they're dairy free! Thanks so much Vicky!!

      Delete
  12. Hi Julie! This recipe looks scrumptious! Thank you for sharing it. I'm going to pin it and make it this weekend. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vashti! Thanks for pinning and let me know how you like it. Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing this post at City of Creative Dream's City of Links on Friday! I appreciate you taking the time to party with me. Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All linked up Shanice!! Thanks for taking time to stop by ;)

      Delete
  14. Yummy! Your recipe will be featured at Savoring Saturdays when it goes live at 7 pm tonight. You're on a roll! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Eva for featuring my recipe!! This ice cream recipe actually came about by mistake, who knew? {smile} Hope you have a fabulous weekend ;)

      Delete
  15. I love coconut and I try to use coconut milk to make dairy free ice creams. Your recipe sounds so delicious and definitely tropical, will definitely add the shredded coconut as well. Thanks for sharing with Foodie Friends Friday's 100th Party Celebration this week. I've pinned and shared.

    We look forward to seeing you again with another delicious recipe.

    A FFF co-host,
    Joanne/WineLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanne!! And I think the shredded coconut adds to the flavor of the ice cream. But then again, I love coconut!! Thanks so much for pinning and sharing :)

      Delete
  16. Love homemade ice cream, and this one looks delicious! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! And thanks for taking time to stop by :)

      Delete
  17. Sounds lovely and refreshing. I love how you've presented it. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura and so glad to see you here again ;)

      Delete