Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Moroccan Stew


I love trying new recipes from different cultures. I say new because they're new to me. I didn't make this stew exactly how it was written the first time I made it, as I like to add my own creative touch to it by adding or deleting ingredients.

It’s very seldom that I make a recipe exactly how it was written and I usually don’t write down what I add the first time I make it as I toss in a little bit of this and a little bit of that until I get the results I’m looking for. So the next time I make it, it changes, often times for the better.


That’s what happened the first time I made this stew last year and again this year by adding different spices that I thought would make this stew even more delicious. Lucky for you, I wrote down what I added this year so now I can share with you!

Whenever I hear of stew, it always reminds me of the classic beef stew that my mom would make with beef, potatoes, carrots, and onions. In this Moroccan version, the flavors are like something you've never had before in a stew, an intriguingly exotic flavor that is simply delicious. 

And to make this an authentic Moroccan meal, I also made Kohbz bread, a Moroccan bread. This bread was easy peasy, especially with a KitchenAid mixer. No more kneading dough for hours as it’s done kneading the dough in minutes. I really do love my KitchenAid mixer {smile}.


Kohbz bread before baking

The bread was surprisingly light in texture, not too heavy like some breads can be, and had a deliciously crisp crust, which I love. The only problem I had with making this bread happened when I placed the prepared cookie sheet with bread dough on it in the oven to be cooked.

It seems the olive oil and cornmeal mix that I used to prepare the pan with, became very hot in the oven and smoked up, not only my oven, but my entire house. 

After re-reading the original recipe again, I found my mistake as I was supposed to oil the center of the cookie sheets OR dust them with cornmeal mix. I think I will try preparing my cookie sheets with just one or the other next time. See, I do make mistakes in the kitchen {smile}.


Kohbz Bread - despite smoking up my oven and house, it turned out beautifully

Other than that, the bread made a delicious pairing with this Moroccan stew.


An exotic taste from the classic beef stew your mom used to make, to help warm you up on a cold winter’s day.

Moroccan Stew

Ingredients

1 lb. white great northern beans, rinsed, soaked overnight, and drained

¼ cup olive oil

3 cups vegetable broth

3 cups turkey stock

3 and ½ tomatoes, diced

1 small sweet onion, diced

4 cloves garlic, minced

4 Tablespoons fresh parsley, coarsely chopped

4 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped

2 teaspoons paprika

2 teaspoons cumin

1 and ½ teaspoons ground ginger

½ teaspoon cayenne pepper

½ teaspoon sea salt

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon turmeric

1/8 teaspoon yellow curry powder

Salt & pepper to taste, if needed

Directions

Put all ingredients into a large crockpot, cover, and cook on Low setting for 7 to 8 hours.

Best served with Moroccan Kohbz bread.

To make Kohbz bread for this meal, visit Christine Benlafquih’s site for the recipe.

*Helpful Hints*

- You can also use chicken, beef, or vegetable stock.

- I usually add 1-2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the water when I soak my beans overnight.

Inspired by ~ Moroccan Stewed White Beans Recipe by Christine Benlafquih

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Simple Supper Tuesday #94, My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Link Party #1, Savoring Saturdays , Wine'd Down Wednesday 69, On Display Thursday #26, Sweet and Savoury Sunday #96