Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Thursday, February 19, 2015

German Apple Puff Pancake


I love pancakes and I love trying different recipes for pancakes. Recently my mom shared a recipe with me for a German apple pancake that you make in a skillet. I couldn't believe it either, a pancake you make in the oven?! I've never heard of such a thing and knew I had to try it.

This recipe is a copycat version of the German Apple Pancake from The Original Pancake House near Chicago. My mom can’t remember where she got this recipe as she collects many recipes from magazines, newspapers, and friends. But if you (the author) happens to read this, Thank you very much for sharing!

Once my mom sent me the recipe, I couldn't wait to make this "oven pancake". It's easy to make and only takes about 20 minutes to bake.

This pancake will keep tummies happy for most of the day and makes for a delicious breakfast whenever you want something different than ordinary pancakes.

I apologize for the photos as I snapped away with my iPhone as I was making it and I couldn’t wait to eat it once it was baked.


German Apple Puff Pancake

Serves 2

 Ingredients

 1 large Apple - Fuji, Braeburn, or Delicious Red apples work great

3 Tablespoons of butter, unsalted

3 Tablespoons granulated sugar

1 and ½ teaspoons cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon Apple pie spice

3 large eggs

½ cup buttermilk

½ cup all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon sea salt

1 - oven proof skillet, at least 8 inches wide

Directions

Preheat oven to 425F degrees.

In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.

Slice apple into 1/4 inch thick slices. If you prefer, you can cut the peel off. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, add eggs, buttermilk, flour, and salt. Mix together until batter is smooth. Set aside.

In a oven proof skillet that's at least 8 inches wide, add butter and melt over medium heat on stove top.

After butter melts, add apple slices and sauté for about 5 minutes or until they soften and become light golden brown on both sides.



After sautéing apples, spread them evenly around bottom of skillet, turn off heat, and pour batter over apples.




Place skillet into oven and bake for about 18-20 minutes. Important not to open oven door during baking. Turn on oven light to see if it's done. The pancake should no longer appear wet on top.


Remove from oven and let sit for a couple minutes.

Use a butter knife to loosen edges of pancake. Invert over a large plate or parchment paper. Pancake should come out of skillet. If apples stick, just loosen with a spatula and place on top of pancake.

Can serve with butter and heated maple syrup with a sprinkling of chopped walnuts (as shown above), powdered sugar, lemon wedges and butter, or just eaten as is.

*Helpful hints*

- I used my 12 inch cast iron skillet to make this recipe. If you use a smaller skillet, you will get a thicker puff pancake.

- If you want to make this pancake for more than just 2 servings, check out this site, where they have the directions for baking the German Apple Puff Pancake for 4 and 6 servings. Their recipe is different, but basically you just double the ingredients for more servings.


All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Sweet and Savoury Sundays #102, Totally Terrific Tuesday Link Party # 23, Munching Mondays #81