Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Green Smoothie Recipes

Avocado Kale Green Smoothie
I have finally came over to the other side! If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen all the green smoothies I've been making. Yep, I am now a green smoothie addict. I know, but as they always say, better late than never.

I really don't know who "they" are, but they are ALWAYS right! I'm thinking "they" must be our mom and dad's because they always seem to be right about everything {smile}.

But anywho, yes I am finally a lover of the green smoothie. Funny thing is, I never thought I would try one. After all, vegetables like kale, avocados, and cucumbers all blended up into a drink just did not appeal to my sweet tooth. Gimme some ice cream, chocolate, peanut butter, and caramel and that's what I'm talking about for a smoothie. Am I right?

Green stuff...Ick!

Recently I bought Matcha powder because I needed help building up my immune system after being sick with a respiratory funk last month. And I got to thinking it was time for me to try the Matcha powder and see what all the hoopla was about.

So I added some coconut milk, a frozen banana, Matcha powder, protein powder, kale, and a little bit of avocado. Whipped it all up, closed my eyes (because I'm a visual eater) and took a sip. That sip was the end to my closed mind thinking of adding vegetables to my smoothies because now I can't get enough of them!

It's true what "they" (yes, "them" again, the all-knowing, always right "they") say, you can't even taste the veggies! Well, I won't lie to you, if you don't have enough banana you will taste a little of the avocado. Which is why I add a large banana or one and a half of a banana and use coconut water instead of plain water. The coconut water has naturally occurring sugars and helps sweeten the smoothie so you don't have to add any honey or agave nectar. Or you can always use less avocado, but I L-O-V-E the rich creaminess the avocado brings to this smoothie!

Look at the creamy thickness the avocado brings to this smoothie
So if you've been like me and avoided the green smoothie because it just doesn't sound good, trust me on this one, and just try it. Because if you're anything like me, you'll be hooked after that first sip of green yumminess!

And I'm not just sharing one recipe with you this week, I'm sharing two of my favorite green smoothie recipes, my thick and creamy Avocado Kale Green Smoothie and my Refreshing Kale Cucumber Green Smoothie. Let me know which one you like best.
---------------------------------------------------------

Avocado Kale Green Smoothie

Recipe by Julie Murphy
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup coconut water (can also use plain water)
  • 1 large banana, frozen and sliced
  • 2 cups kale
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 teaspoon Matcha powder
  • 1 scoop Vanilla protein powder
  • 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
Directions
  1. Add coconut milk, coconut water, frozen banana, kale, and avocado into a High speed blender.
  2. Pulse on High, no longer than 10-15 seconds, until all solid ingredients are pureed, no more chunks.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and pulse on High setting until well blended. If too thick, you can add in a little more coconut water or water. I like mine thick and I use a spatula to help get it out of the blender.
  4. Pour into a tall glass and enjoy the goodness of this green smoothie!
---------------------------------------------------------
Refreshing Kale Cucumber Green Smoothie

Recipe by Julie Murphy
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces almond milk
  • 1/4 cup coconut water (can also use plain water)
  • 2 cups kale
  • 3/4 - 1 cup English cucumbers, sliced and diced
  • 1 large banana, frozen and sliced
  • 1-2 Tablespoons blueberries, frozen
  • 1 scoop Vanilla protein powder
  • 1 teaspoon Matcha powder
  • 2 Tablespoons chia seeds
Directions
  1. Add almond milk, coconut water, kale, cucumber, frozen banana, and blueberries into a High speed blender.
  2. Pulse on High, no longer than 10-15 seconds, until all solid ingredients are pureed, no more chunks.
  3. Add remaining ingredients and pulse on High setting until well blended. If too thick, you can add in a little more coconut water or water. I like mine thick and I use a spatula to help get it out of the blender.
  4. Pour into a tall glass and enjoy the goodness of this refreshing green smoothie!


All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Totally Terrific Tuesday Link Party #27