Let me first say, yes, another peach recipe. I bought all those peaches at the end of my Peach Man’s season and I need to make something quick before they all go bad. So yes, another peach recipe.
After all, it's September and peaches are still available in the stores. And these muffins are full of peaches in every bite with wholesome ingredients so you know you're starting your day off right!
I used a whole grain, whole wheat flour, fresh peaches, coconut sugar, organic brown sugar, spices, and coconut milk. The result are these amazing peach breakfast muffins.
And I topped them off with a streusel. A healthier streusel made with oats, organic brown sugar, and cinnamon. Did you expect anything else from me?
Ok, I admit sometimes I do delve into my dark side of sugar laden sweets, but since I completed my Sugar Crush Challenge, I've been trying to make healthier sweet options. Thank you very much.
I think you'll agree with me that these Peach Breakfast Muffins lean on the healthier side of eating.
They're best warmed up and served with coffee or tea while watching your favorite morning news program so you can savor every bite. But if you're in a hurry, you can easily take them with you on the days you're rushing to work or school.
Just do one thing for me and try to savor each bite of peachy goodness. Because pretty soon here, peaches will disappear and everything (and I do mean everything) will be pumpkin spice.
Healthy Peach Breakfast Muffins
Healthy whole wheat peach muffins to start your day off right!Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 Large muffins or 24 regular sized muffins
- 2 and 1/2 cups whole grain, whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 and 1/2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
- 4 peaches, washed and rinsed, diced
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with a non-stick cooking spray or you can wipe each cup inside with a paper towel dipped in melted coconut oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add dry ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs.
- Combine sugars (coconut sugar and brown sugar), oil, vanilla, almond extract, and coconut milk to eggs.
- Gradually add in dry ingredients to wet mixture and stir until smooth.
- Fold diced peaches into dough mixture.
- Spoon dough into muffin cups, about 3/4 full.
- Place into oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.
- *If adding streusel to top of muffins, during the last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, remove muffins from oven and sprinkle streusel over top of muffins, place back into oven, continue baking at 400F degrees until done.
- Let muffins cool in pan for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, run a butter knife around the edges and gently remove muffin from pan using a spoon and butter knife. Transfer to cooling rack where muffins can cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Ingredients and directions for Streusel Topping below.
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats, uncooked
- 4 Tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Add all ingredients into a small bowl and mix together.
- Sprinkle over top of muffins during the last 15 to 20 minutes of baking.
- You can also add 1 cup of raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries with the peaches. My second batch of muffins had peaches with all of these berries and they turned out so good!
- Instead of peaches, you can make these with raspberries, blueberries, and/or blackberries.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.