Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Healthy Peach Crisp


We're just one step closer to Fall {doing my happy dance!}. And even though summer is wrapping up, we can still enjoy the tastes of summer. What better way to say goodbye than with this healthy peach crisp.

I know National peach month was last month, but who says all peach recipes HAVE to be made in August? Not me! Yes, I was always the rebel. Ok, well, maybe I still am a little bit of the rebellious type {smile}.


But really, National peach month is there to help bring awareness to this fuzzy yellow fruit. Like it really needs national awareness, but who am I to say?

I've known about peaches since I was a kid. That's...er...29some years ago for those wondering.

So really National peach month to me is eating all the peaches I can in one month. Oh, that's not what I'm supposed to do? Oops!

No I haven't been eating all the peaches I can this last month. There might have been a day or two I missed because I ran out of them!

But really, if I could, I would eat a peach every day just like that saying, "Eat a peach a day helps keep the doctor away." What? That's not a peach a day?! I would much rather have a peach every day than an apple. No offense apple lovers because your season is coming up here soon enough.

Since it is still summer, I'm going to give peaches another chance to shine in this healthy peach crisp.


No refined sugar or butter here. Just a lot of peaches, a little honey, cinnamon, oats, coconut, and pecans making up most of the ingredients in this recipe.

It can be considered paleo friendly if you don't top it with ice cream and caramel sauce like I did here. Now I know what you're thinking, but before you let those words slip out of your mouth, that's a no sugar added ice cream and paleo friendly caramel sauce.


Thank you very much!

Healthy Peach Crisp

Recipe by Julie Murphy
A healthier version of your mom's peach crisp. Paleo friendly and gluten-free.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 75 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • 4 cups peaches, diced into small pieces
  • 1 to 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 1 to 2 Tablespoons water
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping for Peach Crisp

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons organic brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 Tablespoons organic coconut flakes, unsweetened
  • 3 Tablespoons chopped pecans
  • 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
  • dash sea salt
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
  2. Prepare a 6" x 9" pan by lightly wiping it with coconut oil or using a non-stick cooking spray.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Making sure all of the peaches get covered with cinnamon.
  4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cover with aluminum foil and place into the oven.
  5. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until peaches are soft. You should be able to cut the peaches using nothing but a fork.
  6. Remove from the oven.
  7. Pour 1/2 of crumb mixture over the top of the peaches. Fold in gently. Crumb mixture doesn't have to be mixed all the way throughout the peaches. Just one or two stirs should do it.
  8. Pour remaining 1/2 of crumb mixture over the top of your peaches.
  9. Place back into oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until crumb mixture starts to turn a golden brown.
  10. At this time, remove pan from oven. Cover with aluminum foil, and place back into the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes.
  11. Remove from oven and uncover.
  12. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
  13. Serve immediately or let cool before serving.
  14. Best served with ice cream, whipped cream, and/or caramel sauce, or all of them!

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Savoring Saturdays