Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Apple Pie


I have to confess, when I was growing up Apple pie was my least favorite pie. I remember going around telling my family members that I must not be American because I don't like apple pie or baseball {Gasp!!!}.

Nope, my favorites were are pecan pie and football.

Which now I know you're wondering what changed, if anything, because here I am making and sharing a recipe for Apple pie.

I really don't know other than I guess my tastes have changed since I was a kid. Or it could have been that one of my ex-boyfriends loved Apple pie, so I had to swallow my dislike and learn not only how to make it, but to love it too!

Oh, the things we do for love. And even though he’s no longer in the picture, I still love apple pie.

Now I used store bought pie crust because after peeling, coring, and dicing the apples, I just didn't feel like making my own pie crust.

But if you're into that sort of thing, then go right ahead and use your home made pie crust. For me, I'm taking the shortcut and focusing all my energy on the contents of this apple pie.

I think you'll surprisingly love my secret ingredient that makes this pie A-M-A-Z-I-N-G, a little splash of bourbon! Yes, bourbon, because everything's a little better around the Holidays with alcohol!

As you can see my pie vented on its own too, which is ok because it makes for more of a homemade look.

Plus the bourbon gives it a smooth appley (yes, appley as in rich apple flavoring) essence like no other!

All in all, I'm glad I finally learned how to love apple pie. As for baseball, well, why bother when I have football.


Apple Pie

An old fashioned apple pie recipe with a hint of bourbon for a smooth apple flavor.
Prep time: 30 minute
Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Yield: 1 Apple pie
Ingredients
  • 3 lbs. Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 Tablespoons corn starch
  • 4 teaspoons bourbon
  • 1 double pie crust (store bought or homemade)
  • 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 Tablespoon white sugar
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together lemon juice, brown and white sugars, cinnamon, apple pie spice, nutmeg, sea salt, and 2 teaspoons of bourbon.
  3. As you peel, core, and dice your apples, toss them into the bowl with sugar and spices and mix to allow the apples to start macerating.
  4. After all the apples are in the bowl, mix together so apples are covered with sugar and spice mixture, and let sit at room temperature for about 1 to 3 hours.
  5. You can prepare your pie dough at this time. If using store bought pie crust, remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. This helps it roll out easier without cracking (hopefully!).
  6. After apple mix has set out, mix together and strain out 1/2 cup of their juices.
  7. Add the juice and butter to a small saucepan. Cook over medium to high heat until it becomes thick and syrup-like, about 10 minutes.
  8. Combine syrup, cornstarch, and remaining 2 teaspoons of bourbon with apples and mix together.
  9. Pour apples into prepared pie shell. Cover with remaining pie shell. Make a few slices in top crust to help vent while baking.
  10. Transfer into oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
  11. After 20 minutes of baking, you might have to place aluminum foil around the edges so pie crust will not burn.
  12. After 45 minutes, remove pie from oven and brush with warmed sugar water (recipe below).
  13. Place back into oven for 5 to 10 minutes, or until pie crust is lightly golden brown.
  14. Remove from oven and let cool for 2 to 3 hours.
  15. Best served warm and topped with vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top.

Sugar water

Directions
  1. In a small bowl add 1/4 cup water and 1 Tablespoon white sugar.
  2. Place in microwave for about 40-50 seconds or until warm.
  3. Mix together and brush over pie crust.
  4. You will have some remaining so DO NOT brush all of it on pie crust.


Inspired by ~ Pacific Pie Company. Check out their page for alternatives to their Old Fashioned Apple Pie recipe.
 
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.