Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Monday, November 16, 2015

Pumpkin Soup


I just spent the first few hours of my Monday morning at my dentist office for an unplanned visit.

Rewind 24 hours back to Sunday morning when I was flossing my teeth and out popped my crown. After the initial freak out, I remembered some emergency adhesive my dentist gave me after my temporary crown fell out. Luckily I was able to find it in my medicine cabinet, mix it together, and slap it on the inside of my crown before placing it back over my tooth.

I don't know if you've ever had this happen to you, but it's a definite "Oh Sh*t!!" moment.

First of all, you're freaking out because this is NOT supposed to be happening, especially after what I paid to have it done! And second, because you're tooth is now vulnerable to all that goes in your mouth, hot and cold included.

Plus it was Sunday! Sunday morning!! Double freak out!!! Now I have to wait 24 hours to go to the dentist! Ugh!

I was afraid to eat anything because I didn't want to experience pain if something touched my uncovered tooth. So for lunch I had a protein smoothie and for supper, I had this Pumpkin Soup. Luckily, I had planned on making this pumpkin soup over the weekend.


This pumpkin soup has everything in it that reminds me of Fall: pumpkin, nutmeg, cinnamon, sage, and maple syrup. It's a savory and warming soup, not a sweet soup like one would think because of the maple syrup. The maple syrup just gives it a hint of flavoring that brings all the other ingredients together.

And I used fresh roasted pumpkin for this soup because there's a difference in taste between fresh and canned pumpkin. I don't think I have to tell you which one is better, do I? It's the fresh pumpkin!

If you've never roasted a pumpkin before, here's a link to my post from last year where I show you how and it's really easy, How to roast a pumpkin.

So whether you want a savory and warming soup tonight because it's kind of chilly out or you're like me and afraid to eat solid food right now, this pumpkin soup is perfect for you.


You can also serve this pumpkin soup as a first course for your Thanksgiving dinner as it has all the flavors of the fall season in just one bowl.

Pumpkin Soup

Recipe by Julie Murphy
A savory and warming soup that encompasses all the flavors of Fall.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Total time: 2 hours and 10 minutes (includes roasting sugar pumpkin)
Yield: 4 servings
Ingredients
  • 1 sugar pumpkin, roasted
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk, canned
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/4 teaspoon rubbed Dalmatian sage
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
Cooking Directions
  1. Roast sugar pumpkin. If you don't know how, a link is listed above from last year's post that shows you how I roast my sugar pumpkins.
  2. After roasting sugar pumpkin and it has cooled, scoop the pumpkin flesh from skins.
  3. Place pumpkin flesh and chicken broth, water, coconut milk, and spices into a large blender. Puree until pumpkin flesh is smooth and all ingredients are mixed together.
  4. Pour into a medium sauce pan.
  5. Stir in remaining ingredients of maple syrup and butter.
  6. Bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring.
  7. After soup begins to boil, turn down heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.
  8. Serve immediately.
  9. Can garnish with 1 teaspoon coconut milk swirled over the top and a sprinkling of nutmeg and rubbed Dalmatian sage (as in photo).

*Helpful Hints*

- I've also seen pumpkin soup topped with sour cream, bacon crumbles, and/or bleu cheese crumbles.

Inspired by ~ Food Network

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.