I wasn't even planning on sharing this recipe with you today. I was just roasting pumpkin seeds for my own personal pleasure after I had roasted a sugar pumpkin where they were residing.
Sharing a roasted pumpkin seed recipe wasn't even on my mind after I've seen them all over the internet since Halloween.
But then I took a bite, just one seed, and I knew I had to share the recipe with y'all. They are just that good! Who knew just one pumpkin seed could pack so much flavor in it? I certainly did not!
It's really amazing how just the right blend of spices can totally transform food! These pumpkin seeds are mildly spicy, not burn your tongue spicy. Just pleasantly spicy where you know you ate something spicy, but you don't need to drink a gallon of milk to kill the burning sensation going on all over your mouth. Yep, we've all been there before!
Did I mention how easy these are to make? Very easy, some might say.....easy peasy.
Oh yes I did, I just said that! But after making these, you'll be saying it too!
Spicy Chipotle Pumpkin Seeds
Deliciously lightly spiced chipotle pumpkin seeds.Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 1 and 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds
- pumpkin seeds from one sugar pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove pumpkin seeds from 1 sugar pumpkin, pumpkin guts and all.
- Place seeds in a colander.
- Running water over the seeds, swish your hands through them to help remove the pumpkin guts.
- After guts are removed, pour seeds onto a clean, dry towel. Pat seeds dry. You might have to use another dry towel or paper towel to remove most of the water from the seeds. It's ok if they're a little moist after drying.
- You should have about 1 and 1/2 cups of clean pumpkin seeds.
- Place dried seeds in a medium bowl. Add olive oil and mix together, coating the seeds with oil.
- Add spices in with seeds and mix together, coating all seeds with spices.
- Spread coated seeds evenly onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Place into oven and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes so seeds get cooked evenly.
- Keep an eye on them during the last 10 minutes so they don't burn.
- Seeds should be lightly crisp and a light golden brown in color when done baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.