Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Monday, December 7, 2015

Butternut Squash Risotto


I think my Baking Fairy has taken the holidays off. I don't blame her at all, the holidays are stressful for all of us.

Cooking, baking, shopping, on top of all the daily stuff we do everyday. It can get to you. But I really wish she would have left someone to take her place.

You see, ever since I can remember, I rarely had a dish or dessert that didn't turn out. Oh I had the bread that burnt, the smoke alarm go off, but those were only minor cooking fiascos!

In case you're wondering, a major cooking fiasco is where the house burns down!

Over the last two months, I have actually had to toss out four things I baked because they were just that bad! FOUR!!!!

In. The. Trashcan.

Which brings me back to my baking fairy, who has left me with no coverage for the holidays! What's a girl to do?

Lucky for me, my cooking fairy is still by my side helping me cook up some yummy dishes and picking up the slack for my baking fairy.

Which means I can cross risotto off my cooking bucket list after making this delicious Butternut Squash Risotto with her help. Yes, I have a cooking bucket list along with a baking bucket list. And for the longest time, risotto was on that list.

Until now.

If you've never had risotto, it's a creamy Italian rice dish that is oh so good! This Butternut Squash is so creamy it reminds me a lot of a macaroni & cheese. But made with rice, and not your regular rice, but Arborio rice.

Arborio rice is a short-grain rice that has a creamy texture, making it perfect for risotto recipes. You can find it in your local food markets located by other rice and grains.

Risotto is also easy to make and it makes a lot! The batch I made serves about ten to twelve. I was surprised it made so much because I was not expecting it! A good surprise is always welcome.

Thank you Cooking Fairy! (You have to thank them or they leave you suddenly, like my baking fairy left my side this holiday season!). So make sure you thank your cooking and baking fairies!


Hopefully my baking fairy will pop in soon, as there's a cake roll I cannot wait to try....again. You guessed it, the first one did not turn out the way it was supposed to.

Until my Baking Fairy comes back to help, you can enjoy this Butternut Squash Risotto.


Butternut Squash Risotto

Recipe by Julie Murphy
A deliciously creamy risotto flavored with butternut squash.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 10-12 servings
Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons Extra virgin Olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 cups Arborio rice
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 quart chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 1 cup butternut squash puree
  • 8 fresh sage leaves, chopped
  • 2 cups fresh parmesan cheese, grated
  • Sea salt & pepper to taste
Cooking Directions
  1. Pour chicken stock and broth into a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil, turn off heat, and cover. Set aside.
  2. In a large skillet, heat olive oil, add in chopped onion, and sauté until onions are clear.
  3. Stir in half of the chopped sage and rice, sautéing until rice is a light brown color.
  4. Add wine with 1 cup of chicken stock mix, stirring until liquid is absorbed.
  5. Gradually add in chicken stock mix, 2 cups at a time, stirring well until almost all the liquid is absorbed in with the rice.
  6. Repeat adding chicken stock mix, 2 cups at a time, until all of it has been added to rice and risotto is creamy.
  7. Add butternut squash puree and remaining sage.
  8. Salt & pepper as needed to taste.
  9. Remove pan from heat and add in parmesan cheese, stirring well so all cheese is mixed thoroughly.
  10. Serve warm.
 
 
 Inspired by ~ Cristina Cooks   
 
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.