Today, I'm sharing a recipe for Double Chocolate Scones with Mocha Cream Cheese filling. A not so healthy recipe, but an oh so yummy one!
You might say, this is my Valentine’s Day recipe, but these scones are good any day of the year!
Chocolate cake-like scones with chocolate chips in every bite and a light, creamy mocha filling with a dollop of whipped cream.
Are you drooling yet?
I love scones because they're so easy to make and you can't mess them up. You can whip up this recipe in about 30 minutes.
They're amazingly delicious with the filling, but you can also serve them warm with only butter or cream cheese. And they're also yummy warmed up with no topping. Yes, they're just simply delicious!
These scones make the perfect breakfast for Valentine's Day since everyone loves chocolate. And what better way to start your day than with a little taste of chocolate, coffee, and cream!
Double Chocolate Scones with Mocha Cream Cheese Filling
Double chocolate scones are delicious with a Mocha cream cheese filling, whipped cream, both, or just by themselves anytime of the day.Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 18 minutes
Total time: 32 minutes
Yield: 10 to 12 scones
- 3/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons full-fat coconut milk (canned)
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon chocolate extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 Tablespoons cold coconut oil
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or use a silicone baking sheet. Set aside.
- Remove coconut oil from refrigerator or freezer so it can soften. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add egg, coconut milk, chocolate extract, and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, gently whisk together flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, and salt until mixed.
- Add in softened coconut oil, mixing for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in coconut milk mixture until dough comes together. If dough is too wet, add a little flour at a time. If dough is too dry, add in coconut milk, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle flour lightly on a flat, dry surface.
- Remove dough from bowl and work with your hands for about 1 minute.
- Roll dough out until about 1" thickness.
- Using biscuit cutters, cut dough into round shapes and place onto prepared cookie sheet, leaving about 2" between dough shapes.
- Place into oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet before transferring onto a wire rack where scones can cool completely.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
Mocha Cream Cheese Filling
A light, cream cheese filling with a delicious coffee flavoring for scones, French toast, cakes, or cupcakes.Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 5 minutes
Yield: 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup + 5 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 packet (1.30 ounces) Starbuck's via instant Latte cafe mocha
- 17 to 20 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla, café mocha granules, and red food coloring until creamy and fluffy.
- Changing to whipping attachment, whip in heavy cream until peaks form.
- To place in scones, cut scone in half (top and bottom) and scoop filling onto each scone half. Place a dollop of whipped cream over the filling. Serve.
- To store filling: Scoop into an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Inspired by ~ Red Velvet Scones.
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.