Lately I've been crushing on these Vegan Beef Nachos I made last week. They're full of good for you stuff like black beans, red onion, tomatoes, avocado, and jalapeño. You get it, they're full of veggies that pack a punch to your taste buds!
But the one thing that sets these apart from other vegan nachos is the vegan "beef" I added to them. Yes, vegan beef made with mushrooms and walnuts. Those vegetarians are a resourceful bunch because this vegan beef comes awfully close to beef in taste and texture.
Notice I say "close to beef" and not "exactly like beef" because you cannot get vegetables to have the exact same texture and taste of beef, so if you're expecting that, you will be disappointed. Let's just say, it's as close as you can get to beef with mushrooms, walnuts, and spices.
I absolutely love this stuff and you can be certain it will show up in more recipes from me. I'll be sharing my recipe for vegan beef next week, so be sure to stop back by because this stuff is delicious!
Anywho, back to these nachos, so flavorful and filling you can eat them for dinner. As a matter of fact, YES, you can eat these for dinner!
Your kids (and your main squeeze) will think you're such a cool mom serving up nachos for dinner! Little do they know, they're eating healthy and getting their recommended daily allowance of veggies at the same time.
Chalk up another win-win meal.
Vegan Beef Nachos
Flavorful beef nachos, vegetarian style.Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 minute
Total time: 11 minutes
- 1-16 ounce can vegetarian refried beans
- 17.6 ounces vegan beef (mushroom and walnut meat)
- 1-15 ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed, and warmed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- plain Greek yogurt
- fresh salsa
- tortilla chips
- In a small saucepan, heat refried beans over low to medium heat until warmed. Set aside.
- You can place all ingredients in separate bowls and let everybody customize their own nachos.
- Or if you're assembling the plates of nachos, start by spreading tortilla chips over the plate. Followed with a large spoonful of refried beans, spreading an even layer over tortilla chips (as even as you can over the chips).
- Spread a spoonful of vegan beef over the refried beans.
- Add a large spoonful of black beans over the top of the vegan beef.
- Sprinkle cheese over the black beans. Place plate into microwave (about 1 minute) to melt the cheese.
- Once cheese is melted, remove plate from microwave and sprinkle remaining ingredients over the top: avocado, tomatoes, red onion, and jalapeno.
- Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and salsa.
- Garnish plates with chopped lettuce and serve with tortilla chips.
*Recipe for Vegan Beef can be found here.
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.