Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Friday, December 27, 2013

Honey & Nut Yogurt

I hope everyone had a memorable Christmas and Santa brought you everything you wanted! I know I was very pleased with what Santa brought me this year…a KitchenAid Mixer!! And not just any old KitchenAid Mixer but a RED one with a 5.5 quart mixing bowl!! Oh, I am a happy girl!

But alas, the year 2013 is coming to a close. The holidays are winding down, Thanksgiving and Christmas are now over and it’s time for the Bowl games and New Year’s Eve. Everybody is still bustling around, meeting with family and friends and enjoying Holiday treats.

I don’t know about you, but I had my fill of rich foods and sweet treats for this week. I woke up today wanting a healthy breakfast. So I looked in my refrigerator and cupboards and came up with this simple and healthy breakfast that I just had to share with you!

Since I love my plain yogurt, I grabbed that out of the fridge and went to town from there. I had on hand Voskos Nonfat Strained Greek plain yogurt, another plain yogurt that I enjoy along with the Fage brand. Voskos is not only gluten free, but GMO and rBST free also. Plus it only has 5 grams of sugar and a whopping 15 grams of protein in a 5.3 ounce serving size. How can you beat that?

You ask what is GMO and rBST and why should you try to avoid it in your foods?

GMO is also known as genetically modified organisms, which are plants or animals that have been genetically engineered with DNA from bacteria, viruses or other plants and animals. These experimental combinations of genes from different species do not occur in nature or in traditional crossbreeding. GMO has been found to increase infertility, immune problems, accelerated aging, problems with insulin regulation, and changes in major organs and the gastrointestinal system.

Recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST) is a synthetic growth hormone given to cows to help them produce more milk. rBST has found its way into other dairy products including cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. rBST has proven controversial because of its potentially carcinogenic effects, leading to an increased chance of breast cancer in pre-menopausal women.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to increase my chances of getting cancer, diabetes, or aging any quicker than I already am! Ok, I will get off my soapbox now and get back to my simply healthy, good for you breakfast.

I added some honey, cinnamon, ginger, and pecans to my yogurt, mixed it all up and enjoyed every bite knowing that it I was putting something good in my body to start off my day! Here’s my recipe for Honey & Nut Yogurt and I hope you enjoy every bite and have a great day!



Honey & Nut Yogurt

Ingredients

1 – 5.3 ounce container Voskos Plain Nonfat Greek Strained yogurt (or your plain yogurt of choice)

1 tablespoon honey (use 1/2 tablespoon to mix in yogurt and remaining 1/2 tablespoon to drizzle over yogurt)

¼ teaspoon cinnamon

1/16 teaspoon ground ginger (or for easier measuring, just 1/2 the amount of an 1/8 teaspoon)

Sprinkle pecans or nut of choice – almonds, peanuts, walnuts

Directions

Empty yogurt into a bowl. Add ½ tablespoon of the honey, cinnamon, and ginger to yogurt and mix well. Once ingredients are blended, sprinkle pecans in mixture and mix throughout. Drizzle remaining ½ tablespoon of honey on top and enjoy!



 
 

*More Information about GMO and rBST can be found at the links below:

https://www.globaldairyinnovation.com/dairy-milk-production/what-is-rbst.aspx

http://www.wanttoknow.info/gmoinyourfood 

 
 
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs. Or you can link back to this post for the recipe.