Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Monday, December 23, 2013

Light & Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting

When I was still living back home, my mom and I would make Christmas cookies for all the family, our neighbors, friends, and co-workers. However, since I’ve moved to Georgia, I have to admit, I haven’t been consistent with our traditional Christmas cookie bake off. But this year, the baking bug has bit me and I’m making cookies, baking brownies, making homemade cream cheese frosting, to go on top of my EZ red velvet brownies of course! I say EZ because I cheated a lil bit….just a lil bit! Ok, I admit, I used a boxed brownie mix, added red food coloring, and topped them with a homemade cream cheese frosting and red sprinkles! Yes, I know, not healthy for you but I never said the sweet stuff was going to be healthy :)  I was crunched for some time and that’s why I used the boxed brownie mix. I did make them at home and baked them in the oven, so really, if you want to get technical, they are homemade red velvet brownies with cream cheese frosting. 

Since y’all already know how to make the boxed brownie mixes, I’m going to share with you the recipe for Homemade Cream cheese frosting. If you have never had homemade frosting before, you are going to be surprised with how much better it taste than canned frosting and how easy it is to make in less than 15 minutes.

Homemade frosting is so much creamier and lighter than the canned versions that you’ll be asking yourself why you never tried making it before and why didn’t your mom make it when you were a little kid?? The recipe I used is from Southern Living December 2010 and is for a small batch of homemade cream cheese frosting, making approximately 1 and 2/3 cup of frosting. You can use this frosting for cakes, cookies, or brownies. Or ya might just wanna whip up a batch and lick it off your fingers! You know, when you need a little sweet craving fix like we all do sometimes :)




Light & Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting

Ingredients

1 - 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
3 tablespoons butter, softened
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 and ½ cups powdered sugar 

Directions

Add softened cream cheese, butter, salt, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl. Beat cream cheese mixture with an electric beater at medium speed until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar until creamy and blended. Spread over brownies and enjoy!





 
 
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs. Or you can link back to this post for the recipe.