Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Fat-Free, gluten-free Salad Dressing

With a New Year, comes New Year’s resolutions and one of the most popular resolutions is to lose weight. One of the best ways to lose weight, along with exercising (sorry you can’t just take a pill for losing weight, I wish it was that easy!) is to improve your eating habits. Not only eating healthier, but eating smarter helps you achieve these goals faster than just exercising alone.

A lot of people think that by just eating salads it will help them lose weight. Wrong! I say this because when I see people substitute a salad for one of their meals, I see lettuce, mixed with a lot of cheese and bacon, swimming in Ranch dressing.

Ranch dressing has a whopping 15 grams of fat and 328mg of sodium per 2 tablespoons!!! And when I see people use Ranch dressing, they usually are putting more like 8-9 tablespoons of dressing over their salads. Even light Ceaser salad dressing has 8 grams of fat per 2 tablespoons! Now this is better than 15 grams of fat, but we can do better than this.

I came across this salad dressing recipe when I was vacationing last year with my BFF in California and she had just started a special diet to help her lose a few pounds. She was under the supervision of a dietician who was helping her eat smarter and healthier. Now I tweaked the recipe a bit but it remains fat-free and gluten-free and still tastes delicious while helping me cut the fat and reduce my sodium intake.

Here’s my fat-free, gluten-free salad dressing that I hope you will enjoy as much as I do while not only helping you eat healthier, but eat smarter too!

Fat-free, gluten-free Salad Dressing

Prep time - 5 minutes
1 serving and makes enough for about 2 cups of lettuce of choice

Ingredients needed:



1 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar

1 teaspoon Apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon white vinegar

1 teaspoon Olive oil

1 Squirt Dijon mustard

1 Squirt of Honey

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

Add vinegars and olive oil to small bowl. Squirt approximately ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard and honey to vinegar mix. Blend well. Add in salt and pepper to taste. Pour over salad & Enjoy!



Helpful Hints:

*I use pink Himalayan salt because it’s better for you than sea salt and table salt. I only use a small amount of salt for taste. If you want to read more about pink Himalayan salt here’s a link at body unburdened

* I found these cute little containers at my local Wal-Mart which are great for storing things like salad dressing.



* I make my salad dressing in these containers ahead of time so when I take it to work, it's already made and it fits in my lunch box.


All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs. Or you can link back to this post for the recipe.