Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dos Crunch Tostada

With all this cold weather, I’m ready to head south of the border for some sunshine and warmth! Well, since I can’t quite do that just yet (ya know, work and the fact I’m snowed in!) I’ll have to make believe I’m there by whipping up something from south of the border.

Now I love, love, love me some Mexican food….tacos, enchiladas, taco salad, chimichangas, guacamole, salsa, and margaritas…do you get the hint? But I was looking at making something I’ve never made before, so I googled Mexican food and found a recipe for a Mexican pizza. Mmmm, yea, that’s what I thought, sounds good, what’s this thing look like? Basically you place refried beans between two fried tortillas and then top it with cheese, tomatoes, and olives. Sounds good but not quite a dinner option for me as I try to stay away from fried foods and it seemed more of an appetizer than a meal for dinner.
So in trying to keep it healthy, I opted for a tostada because it incorporates a taco salad, yet not quite a salad. Now I know what you’re thinking, a tostada? After all those other choices and you opt for just a tostada? Yes, a tostada but not just a tostada here, I made a few changes to my tostada.

I took the idea of placing refried beans (fat-free, of course) mixed with ground chicken and topped with shredded cheese between two tostadas (from the Mexican pizza idea) and then layered my other ingredients on top. I layered my tostada with fat-free Greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), freshly cut jalapenos, tomatoes, avocados, salsa, olives, shredded lettuce, and topped with my fat-free salad dressing!

It was magnífico! It had just enough crunch and spiciness mixed with the good for ya stuff! {smile}

I call it Dos Crunch Tostada  - meaning two crunch tostada.

This tostada will definitely keep your thoughts warm until you can actually get away from all of this snow and ice! Of course a margarita served up with it doesn’t hurt either! {smile}

Dos Crunch Tostada

Ingredients

Tostada shells

1 pound ground chicken (can also use ground turkey or beef)

Fat-free refried beans (can be regular refried beans too)

2 cups shredded cheese (can be either pepper jack, cheddar, or Monterey cheese)

2 tomatoes, diced

1 avocado, diced

1 small can sliced black olives

1 jalapeno, diced

1 cup plain Greek yogurt (*optional – if you prefer, can use sour cream)

1 head of iceberg lettuce, shredded

1 cup fresh salsa

2 servings of my fat-free, gluten-free salad dressing

Directions

In a medium skillet, brown ground meat and season to taste. Set aside. 

In a small saucepan, warm refried beans, stirring often. Set aside.

Place 1 tostada on plate, put 1 layer of refried beans, ground meat, and cheese.


Place 2nd tostada over cheese, and start layering remaining ingredients. *I start with Greek yogurt, followed by diced jalapeno, tomatoes, olives, salsa, avocado, while leaving the shredded lettuce for last.


Place lettuce on top, piling high.


Drizzle fat-free salad dressing over the top and serve.

*Helpful Hints*

-I season my ground meat with salt & pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, chili powder to help give it that spicy taste.

-can be served with tortilla chips, salsa, and/or guacamole.

Prep time – 25 minutes

Serves 2
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs. Or you can link back to this post for the recipe.