Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Friday, July 4, 2014

German Chocolate Pancakes


Remember when you were a kid and mom would never let you have cake for breakfast? No matter how much you begged her, she would still say NO and ya had to wait all day before you could eat it!

Well, now that you’re all grown up and on your own (hopefully most of you are), who says you can’t have cake for breakfast?


That’s right, I’m talking chocolate pancakes with sweet, sticky, coconutty syrup dripping down the sides breakfast! Today! Are ya with me yet?


Let me introduce you to Series 3 of the Ultimate Chocolate Lover's Breakfast version of German Chocolate Pancakes…


I guess this came to be when I kept seeing photos with recipes for German Chocolate cake all around me and I wanted to make it so bad, but didn’t feel like turning on my oven in this heat.

So I came up with an easy version of German Chocolate Cake. I just added cocoa powder to my pancake mix and pecans to my coconut syrup and made this deliciously wicked recipe for breakfast!


And now (are you listening Mom?), I can have my cake for breakfast! {Happy dance}


German Chocolate Pancakes

Pancakes Recipe

Makes 5-6 pancakes

Ingredients

1 cup of pancake mix (I use my gluten-free Bisquick pancake mix)

1 egg

1 cup milk (your choice of type, I find buttermilk makes a light fluffy pancake as does coconut milk)

2 Tablespoons sunflower oil

2 Tablespoons cocoa powder, unsweetened

Directions

Prepare large skillet  or griddle by coating with your choice of oil or non-stick spray. Set aside.

Prepare pancake mix as directed on box, adding in cocoa powder. Mix until blended.

Place skillet on medium heat and let warm up.

Pour pancake mix into skillet and cook until batter bubbles. Flip pancake over and cook until done. Place on plate and serve.

Syrup recipe

Coconut Syrup with pecans

Serves - 4

Prep time – 5 minutes

Cooking time – 15 minutes

Ingredients

1 cup Karo syrup

1 cup cream of coconut

2 Tablespoon sweetened condensed milk

2 teaspoon vanilla extract

½ cup toasted coconut

2 Tablespoons pecans, chopped *

Directions

Over low heat, add all ingredients into a medium sauce pan. Continue stirring until mixture reaches desired heat.

* Important to not let syrup boil as you don’t want it to burn. *

*Helpful Hints*

- You can use oil substitutes for pancake mix

- Pecans can be left out if allergic to nuts

- All measurements are US

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.
Follow on Bloglovin

Instagram

Featured week of 07/21/2014 at ~ Motivational Mondays Linkup Party


Shared with: Let's Get Real Friday Party #47, Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party #103, #GetHimFed Fridays {No.43}, Anything Goes Linky #162 and Features , City of Links #27, Pretty Pintastic Party #11, Skip the Housework Saturday #27, Mix it Up Monday!, Munching Mondays #47, Busy Monday 122, Share It Sunday {36}, The Southern Special 15, Tasty Tuesday Link Party!, Simple Supper Tuesday #71, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #15, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday #9, Motivational Mondays - Share Your Recipes!, Wine'd Down Wednesday 44, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays #29, Wake Up Wednesday "Linky" #25, The Wednesday Roundup #34, Great Idea Thursdays 62, On Display Thursday #3, Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends #37, Say G'day Saturday Linky Party {96}, Inspiration Monday Party