Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Thursday, July 31, 2014

World's Best Refried Beans - Crockpot Style

 
I am finally off work for a few days! For the past few years, I’ve been going back home to California but since Thor got diagnosed with diabetes earlier this year, I had to change my plans. It’s still time away from work and that makes me a happy girl!

Since I’m staying home this year, I decided to use this time to get some things done at home like plant some flowers, mulch for the Fall, steam clean the carpets, wash my car (yeah, the fun stuff), plus cook, bake, and create some yummy foods in the kitchen so I can share with you!


With all these chores on my To Do list, I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen right now. So I needed to make a meal that is not only satisfying, but allows me time to work on my list while still letting me share a delicious recipe with you. And after searching my Pinterest boards, my virtual cookbook, I found the perfect recipe for letting me do all this.


These are hands down the best crockpot refried beans you will ever have! I know what you’re thinking, “world’s best”? I didn’t quite believe the title myself until I tried them and they are the BEST refried beans I’ve ever had. Ever. In. My. Lifetime. Best. Beans. Period.


Let’s just say, they are so dang good that I didn’t even make them into refried beans. They're just that good!


So here’s the recipe and you let me know if you don’t also think these refried beans are the best you’ve ever had too!

World’s Best Refried Beans – Crockpot Style

Needed to make ~ 6-7 quart crockpot is needed for full recipe (2 lbs. beans) unless you half the recipe, then you can use a smaller crockpot.

Ingredients

2 pounds dried pinto beans, sorted and rinsed

2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 yellow onion, diced

10 garlic cloves, diced

2 teaspoons oregano

1 and ½ teaspoons ground cumin

½ teaspoon ground black pepper

3 cups vegetable broth (can also use chicken or beef)

3 cups water

4 and ½ teaspoons sea salt

1-2 jalapenos, seeded and diced *optional*

Directions

After sorting and rinsing dried beans, place in a large mixing bowl. Fill the bowl until it covers the beans, approximately ½ inch from the top. Add 2 Tablespoons of apple cider in with the beans and cover to let soak overnight.

In the morning, pour the beans into a colander to drain and rinse with fresh water. After rinsing the beans, add them with all other ingredients into your crockpot.

Cook on HIGH for 7-8 hours or LOW for 8-12 hours.

When beans are done they should be soft enough to easily squish between your fingers.

For refried beans

Place cooked beans in a food processor or immersion blender and blend to your desired consistency. Note beans will become thicker as they cool.

If you love them as I do, straight from the crockpot, place in a bowl, top with your favorite topping of onions, cheese, sour cream, or hot sauce. Serve and enjoy!

Recipe source ~ Allergy Free Alaska by Megan

*Helpful Hints*

- if you don’t want the beans spicy, you can leave out the jalapenos or adjust to you and your family’s taste.

- All measurements are US

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post and Allergy Free Alaska for the original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest. Follow on Bloglovin Instagram

Featured at ~ Simple Supper Linky Party #24 with Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog, On Display Thursday Linky Party #9

 
and 

detours in life

Shared with: #glutenfreefridays#103, Busy Monday 126, Munching Mondays #51, Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party, Anything Goes Linky #167 & Features, GetHimFed Fridays {No. 48}, Share it Sunday {41}, Skip the Housework Link Party, Sweet and Savoury Sunday #75, Say G'day Saturday #100 Linky Party, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #20, The Southern Special #20, Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesday #14, Simple Supper Tuesday #75, Tasty Tuesday Recipe Link Up!, Wine'd Down Wednesday 49, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays, The Wednesday Roundup #40, Wake Up Wednesday "Linky" #30, Great Idea Thursdays 64, Inspire Us Thursday Link Party #64, On Display Thursday Linky Party #8, Pin It Thursday, Pin Junkie Pin Party #81, Pretty Pintastic Party #17, Pinworthy Projects Link Party #30, City of Links #33, Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends #42, Snickerdoodle Sunday #43, Let's Get Real Friday Party #54