Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Seasoned Roasted Potatoes


The potato. It’s a staple vegetable in diets all over the world and can be prepared in many ways. You can bake it, boil it, fry it, grill it, mash it, steam it, microwave it, and roast it. You can top them with butter, sour cream, ketchup, chili, cheese, bacon, onions, or anything you desire. You can eat it as a meal or as a side dish. The options are endless as this little oblong vegetable is just that versatile. 

Potatoes are one of the most nutritious vegetables available. One plain medium potato (5.3 ounces) contains:
  • 620mg of potassium which is more than bananas, broccoli, or spinach
  • Trace amounts of essential thiamine, riboflavin, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc
  • Vitamin B6 and vitamin C
  • They contain antioxidants
  • And with no fat, sodium, or cholesterol and a total of 110 calories.*
 
They have their own unique savory flavoring of mild earthiness, sometimes a little sweet and buttery, combined in a light and fluffy fleshy meat-like middle. It’s no wonder we make them a part of our everyday diets.
 
I love potatoes! Sometimes I will have a baked potato for dinner when I don’t feel like cooking. I love to season and roast potatoes in the fall and winter months. But for some reason, I got to craving roasted potatoes this week. I guess I’m just wishing fall would hurry up and get here and by cooking fall meals, it will be here faster. Talk about wishful thinking, especially since it’s supposed to be high 80’s to 90’s this week, ugh!
 
Well, if I can’t have my fall weather, I’m going to have my favorite fall side dish, Seasoned Roasted potatoes. These are lightly seasoned and roasted in the oven with fresh rosemary from my garden. I love using fresh rosemary in homemade soups, stews, and sprinkled over my roasted potatoes.
 
 
I planted my rosemary plant when I moved into this house and its one heck of a hardy little herb. It’s also the only one that I can grow! I haven’t bothered with it since I planted it six years ago and it just keeps on growing. I don’t have to water it and it has survived snow storms, ice storms, and the Georgia heat. It is my favorite plant and I love the way it smells when you rub your fingers over the leaves. I finally pruned it this year as it was starting to look in need of some TLC.


My hardy rosemary plant


Anywho, back to the recipe. This is a delicious and easy recipe to make that compliments any meal without all the heavy, creamy toppings that usually accompany a potato dish. These lightly seasoned roasted potatoes will soon become a favorite in your home during the fall and winter months ahead.
 
 
 
Seasoned Roasted Potatoes
 
Ingredients
 
2 lbs. potatoes, washed, rinsed, and diced into small square bites
 
1 Tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
 
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
 
¼ teaspoon sea salt
 
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (can use more if you like it a little spicier)
 
¼ teaspoon paprika
 
1 garlic clove, minced
 
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
 
Directions
 
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Lightly spray a cookie sheet, 17 ½” x 12”, with non-stick spray. You can also use olive oil spray or lightly wipe down the cookie sheet with olive oil if you don’t have spray. Wipe off any excess with a clean paper towel. Set aside.
 
In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, spices, and olive oil. Mix together well so all potatoes are covered with olive oil and spice mix.
 
Spread out evenly on prepared cookie sheet so potatoes don't overlap. Place in oven for 45 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown.

Halfway during cooking, about 20 minutes, remove pan from oven and flip potatoes over so they get crunchy on both sides.
 
Remove from oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes as potatoes will be HOT.
 
Serve and enjoy!

*Nutritional facts about potatoes obtained from ~ Potatoes Goodness Unearthed, Inc.
 
*Helpful Hints*
 
- you can use any variety of potatoes to make these.
 
- All measurements are US
 
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Featured at ~ Sweet and Savoury Sundays #82 and On Display Thursday Linky Party #12

 
 
Mini Van Dreams
 
Cupcakery