Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Friday, February 27, 2015

Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate


My kitchen has been closed this week. Not because of the snow, but because I have a head cold. Yes, the dreaded head cold. All week long I've felt like a fire breathing dragon. Every breath I took in and out, my nose and throat felt like they were on fire.

And the only thought I had all week was "how do I put this fire out?"

I went for the fighting fire with fire option. Yep, everything I put in my mouth was hot. Well, not hot HOT because that would burn my mouth, but warm hot. I drank coffee (because no matter how sick I am, I still need my coffee, only coffee lovers can understand this {smile}), hot tea, Theraflu, hot water and lime (because that's all I found in the fridge at work), chicken broth, and hot chocolate.

The only foods I really prepared were the grilled cheese sandwiches to go with my chicken broth. Yep, comfort food for the head cold, hot liquids and grilled cheese sandwiches.

So that's the reason I literally shut down this week. I didn't even feel good enough to get on social media. Oh, I might have dabbled a little to still feel alive and connected, but not like I normally do.

Today is the first day I have felt like doing anything. My nose has stopped running, the fire in the back of my throat is only smoldering, and I can actually think. Yes, a head cold to me is like a government shutdown.

I have to say there was one good thing that came of this. And that was making homemade hot chocolate. Since I was drinking all these hot liquids and it was freezing outside, I started craving me some hot chocolate. Lucky for me I had some chocolate syrup, milk, and cream in the fridge because I sure didn't feel like getting dressed and driving anywhere.

So I made this quick version of hot chocolate. And what goes best on top of hot chocolate? Whipped cream. So I whipped up a batch of whipped cream for my hot chocolate.

I really do think this is what cured me. The cool, creamy whipped cream and the warm chocolatiness running over my scorched throat helped put out the fires of this nasty head cold and brought me back to the world of the living.

It’s good to be back {smile}.

Easy Homemade Hot Chocolate

Serves 2

Ingredients

2 cups milk

5-6 Tablespoons chocolate syrup (recipe for homemade chocolate syrup here)*

Directions

In a small saucepan, add milk and chocolate syrup.

Heat over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly. Don't let it boil as you don't want the milk to burn.

Once milk warms up, pour into mugs and enjoy.

Best served with whipped cream or marshmallows.

*Helpful Hints*

- Recipe for making your own chocolate syrup is here.

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Totally Terrific Tuesday Link Party #23, Foodie Friends Friday Linky Party #137