Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Berry Oatmeal Breakfast Squares


They always say third times a charm and it proved right when I made these Berry Oatmeal Breakfast Squares. When I first saw the recipe for Blueberry Oatmeal Breakfast Bars by Erin over at DelightfulEmade, they looked so good but I knew there had to be a way to healthy them up.

The original recipe was "almost" healthy with the blueberries and oatmeal but I can do without the white flour and butter. Whenever possible, I try to replace butter with coconut oil and white flour with either a whole wheat flour or some kind of gluten-free flour, like the coconut flour I used in this recipe.

One thing I've learned when baking with coconut flour is you need to adjust the measurement for it since it adds a drier texture than white flour. Which is why I've made this recipe three times already.

Yes, three times! I made the first batch with blackberries, the second batch with blueberries, and a combination of raspberries and blackberries in the third batch. And I have to say, I like the blackberries and the raspberries the best.


Of course I've been on a blackberry kick here lately. This batch would have been all blackberries except it seems they had a shortage the day I wanted to make this because I could not find blackberries at any store I went to that day. Luckily, they had raspberries and I had some blackberries stored in the freezer from a few weeks ago!

So the first time I made these, the oatmeal texture was too powdery. The second batch, I added a little too much coconut oil to make up for the dry texture. The third time, I added more coconut flakes and it turned out perfect. Not too dry and not too crumbly, not too oily, but just right.

Top with plain Greek yogurt for a healthy breakfast

So just like Goldilocks, it took me three times before I found the right one. Trust me, you'll be happy it did because like they say "third times a charm." Or in this case, berry charm!

Berry Oatmeal Breakfast Squares

Recipe by Julie Murphy
Healthy baked oatmeal breakfast squares with fresh summer berries.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Ingredients
  • 2 and 1/4 cups Old fashioned oats
  • 2 cups coconut flour
  • 1 cup organic brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 cups coconut oil, melted
  • 1 cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 cups raspberries, rinsed
  • 2 cups blackberries, rinsed
  • 1 Tablespoon corn starch
  • 1/4 cup coconut sugar (to mix with berries)
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat over to 350F degrees.
  2. Spray 9" x 11" pan with non-stick cooking spray or rub down with coconut oil. Set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine together oats, flour, brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut sugar, coconut flakes, baking soda, and sea salt.
  4. Pour melted coconut oil over dry oat blend and mix together, coating all dry ingredients with melted coconut oil. Mixture will be crumbly.
  5. Place about 2/3 of oat blend into prepared pan. Flattening down mixture with your hands. Set aside.
  6. In a separate bowl, add fruit, corn starch, and 1/4 cup coconut sugar. Blend until the berries are coated with sugar and corn starch.
  7. Pour berry mix over flattened oatmeal blend.
  8. Sprinkle remaining oatmeal blend over top of the berries.
  9. Place into preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden brown in color.
  10. Remove from oven and let cool. Once cool, cut into squares. Place into refrigerator and let cool completely. This helps bottom crust set up.
  11. Serve individual squares in a small bowl.
  12. Best served with plain Greek yogurt.
*Helpful hints*
 
- can use fresh or frozen raspberries and blackberries. Fresh is always best, especially now that they're in season.
 

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.