Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Friday, July 31, 2015

Spirulina Guacamole


I love Mexican food. However, I haven't made any Mexican food here lately except for guacamole. Since avocados are in season, I've been buying them in bulk and occasionally I will make some guacamole.

I've shared a guacamole recipe with you already, but today's recipe is a little different than the one I've already shared. I made this one from scratch, using garlic, tomatoes, avocados, and lime juice with seasoning from sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.

I don't know if you've seen the new craze of adding peas to guacamole? The New York Times food columnist Melissa Clark published a recipe with English peas in guacamole. Social media went on a frenzy over adding peas to traditional guacamole. I mean after all, peas aren't even considered a traditional Mexican food and you want to add English peas to guacamole? Sacrilege!

Well since that article published, adding peas to guacamole is the new craze. Some people like it and some just hate it. So I had to try it.


To tell you the truth, when I first heard about it I thought "yuck". Then I tried it and thought " not so bad after all". I actually like it! The peas DO add texture to the guacamole without changing the flavor.

Now I kept my peas whole, not mashed up, which gave my guacamole texture. And since this is a controversial dish, I went ahead and added some spirulina to it too, which gives it more vitamins and minerals with a beautiful dark green color without affecting the taste.

Just like chia seeds, spirulina was used by the Aztecs. Pretty smart people those Aztecs!

In case you don't know what spirulina is, it's a blue-green algae. Here's a smart chart to give you the skinny on spirulina.


But If you want to learn more about the health benefits of spirulina, where to buy it, and more recipes using spirulina, visit Nuts.com.

Don't let the algae part stop you from trying this super food, as it is a complete protein that contains all essential amino acids. Plus it helps protect cells from damage, which is why so many people are using it these days.


All of this in just one little bite! Who could ask for anything more?

By the way, the drink in the upper left hand corner of these photos will be on my blog next week!

Spirulina Guacamole

Recipe by Julie Murphy
A healthier version of your traditional guacamole with spirulina and peas.
Prep time: 7
Cook time: 0
Total time: 7
Yield: 2 cups
Ingredients
  • 2 avocados, seeded and removed from skins
  • 2 tomatoes, rinsed and diced
  • 1/2 to 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 to 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
  • 1 cup sweet peas, cooked and cooled
  • 1 teaspoon Spirulina powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 2 to 3 lime wedges for juice
  • Dash sea salt and black pepper to taste
Directions
  1. In a medium bowl, add avocados. Mash with a fork until no more large clumps are visible. Some clumps will remain.
  2. Mix in spirulina, onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and juice from 2 to 3 lime wedges.
  3. Combine remaining ingredients (tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, and peas), mixing well.
  4. Best served with tortilla chips or added to any Mexican dish.

Disclaimer ~ I was not paid any monies or compensated for this post by Nuts.com. Recipe and opinions are my own. I believe in the health benefits of spirulina.
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Savoring Saturdays