Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Thursday, August 27, 2015

Blueberry Scones


These last few days, I've been busy with conferences in Atlanta, which has left me little time to do much of anything in the kitchen. Luckily last weekend I took advantage of the cooler weather out here in Georgia, since I was afraid the summer heat was coming back and I needed to make something with all the blueberries I just bought.


So I made these delicious blueberry scones. I made these a little differently than my first batch of scones by playing with the main ingredients. I used coconut milk instead of yogurt and coconut oil along with the butter, so I could still have that buttery flavor. I think it really made a difference!

Plus I realized I wanted my scones a little thicker. To achieve that, I didn't roll these out as much as my first batch. Actually I just placed the rolling pin over the top of the dough and went over it once, tidied up the edges with my hands, sliced the dough like a pizza, and that was it.


I'm happy with how thick they turned out, yet light and fluffy with a mildly sweet blueberry taste, and the scraggly texture which is so reminiscent of scones.


I think I have this scone thing figured out! Which is a good thing because like I said before, this ain't gonna be my last scone recipe!

Blueberry Scones

Recipe by Julie Murphy
Delicious blueberry scones that are fluffy and light in texture. Perfect for breakfast or snacking.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 to 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 12 scones
Ingredients
  • 2 cups + 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 Tablespoons coconut oil, frozen
  • 2 Tablespoons butter, frozen
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup full-fat coconut milk, canned
  • 1 egg
  • 4 Tablespoons honey
  • 1 cup blueberries
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
  2. Prepare cookie sheet by spraying with a non-stick cooking spray. Wipe off any excess with a dry paper towel. Set aside.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients. Blend together with a fork.
  4. Using your mixer with correct attachment for dough making, pastry fork, or your fingers, work in frozen coconut oil and frozen butter with the dry ingredients until crumbly.
  5. Mix in vanilla, coconut milk, egg, and honey.
  6. Knead dough for about 5 to 10 minutes using your KitchenAid mixer.
  7. After kneading dough, remove from bowl, and place on a flour dusted surface. (Yes, you're about to get messy here! If you're anything like me, change into an old shirt, preferably NOT a black shirt).
  8. Work the dough with your hands for about 1 to 2 minutes.
  9. If dough is too sticky to work with your hands, add more flour 1 Tablespoon at a time. Dough should be a little sticky, not smooth like an ordinary bread dough.
  10. Gently fold in blueberries, blending throughout dough mixture.
  11. Shape dough into a round shape with your hands. Lightly roll the dough mixture with a floured rolling pin, sprinkling on more flour if needed to prevent sticking. You want dough to be at the least 1/2 inch thick. The thicker the dough, the larger your scones. But remember, you want them to cook all the way through so not too thick here.
  12. Tidy up the outside edges with your fingers, keeping in mind that you want the dough to look rough, since that is the beauty of a scone.
  13. Cut your circle into pieces, similar to a round pizza.
  14. Gently transfer each piece of dough (a spatula works great for this) onto your prepared cookie sheet, leaving 1/2 inch between each piece of dough.
  15. Place into the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the tops are a light golden brown.
  16. Remove from the oven.
  17. Scones can be served fresh out of the oven, warm, or room temperature.
  18. Best served with butter, mascarpone cheese, or cream cheese and coffee or tea.

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.