I'm not much of a tea drinker. I'm definitely a coffee drinker as you best make sure I have my coffee first before even speaking to me in the mornings.
Did I mention I'm
However, I do love to drink tea in the colder months or when I get sick and coffee just makes my head hurt.
My favorite kind of tea is chai tea. I fell in love with it after I tried Starbucks Chai Tea Latte.
Oh, if you haven't tried it yet, it's everything like fall should taste like, with warm spices of ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and black pepper all blended together with black tea. Mmmm….
Which brings us to today's recipe, Chai Tea Pumpkin Pie. A pie that stands alone with a blend of fall spices along with pumpkin chai tea made into a pie!
Did I mention the gingersnap cookie crust? Oh yes I did!
I've been wanting to make a gingersnap cookie crust for some time now and I knew this would be the perfect recipe for it.
Not only can you smell the spices in it, but the flavors are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!
You'll be going back for seconds with this pie. Ok, maybe thirds and fourths, your secret is safe with me. Just as long as you save me a slice!
Serve me a cup of coffee and this pie and I'll be yours for life, no matter what time of day it is!
Chai Tea Pumpkin Pie
An infusion of pumpkin chai tea and spices make this delicious Chai Tea Pumpkin Pie perfect for Thanksgiving holidays.Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes (includes cooking crust time)
Yield: 1 - 9" pie
- 4 and 1/2 cups gingersnap cookies
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 tea bags pumpkin chai tea
- 2 large eggs
- 1-15 ounce can 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1-12 ounce can evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Place gingersnap cookies into a food processor or high speed blender and pulse a few times until cookies resemble fine crumbs. Pour cookie crumbs into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in microwave on High for about 45 seconds or until butter is melted. This might take a little longer depending on how your microwave cooks.
- Pour butter into crumbs and mix together, combining all crumbs with butter.
- Press buttered crumbs into a 9" circumference x 2" deep pie pan, including bottom and sides.
- Place into oven and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- To make pie filling:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Cut tea bags open and pour ingredients into a spice grinder and grind until fine powder.
- If using a food processor or high speed blender, add tea bag ingredients, 1/4 cup of the pumpkin puree and 1/2 can of evaporated milk. Pulse 4 to 5 times until tea bag ingredients are finer. Add remaining can of evaporated milk, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cardamom and pulse 3 to 4 more times until blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add in sugar and remaining pumpkin, blending well. Combine evaporated milk mixture.
- Pour into cooled pie shell.
- Place into oven and bake for 45-55 minutes or until knife inserted into middle of pie comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours.
- Serve after pie has cooled or refrigerate. If refrigerating, make sure pie is cool before covering for storage.
- Best served with Maple Whipped Cream on top. Recipe below.
Homemade Maple Whipped Cream
A delicate maple flavored homemade whipped cream.Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0
Total time: 5 minutes
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Using a wire whisk, whip until stiff peaks start to form or desired thickness of whipped cream. I always like mine a little thicker so I whip for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place into an airtight container and let chill.
- Store in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- Use anywhere whipped cream is called for in a recipe.
Pie recipe inspired by ~ Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe from the label of 100% Pumpkin product.
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.