It's that time of year to bring out the crockpot and start cooking something delicious. Especially when temperatures go from a balmy 69 degrees to a frigid 18. Talk about a wakeup call!
So when I heard about the Bush's beans chili cook off, it gave me another reason to dust off my crockpot and make a big batch of chili to help warm me up.
Now I've only been sharing recipes with y'all for two years and I've already shared four different chili recipes. I've made Vegan Chile (my most recent), Crockpot White Chicken Chili (twice, recently updated), Crockpot Pumpkin Turkey Chili, and Crockpot Chicken Chile.
I am by no means a chili connoisseur, but I do love my chili. I think I inherited my love for chili from my daddy. And just like my daddy, I love a hearty chili, not one where it's all soupy with just a few beans.
|Look how hearty that chili is that my spoon stands up on its own!|
Nope, I want my spoon to literally stand up straight in my chili. And your spoon will stand up straight in this Slow Cooker Vegan Sweet Potato & Carrot Chili.
This chili is hearty with all the flavorings of a meat chili, but without the meat. It's full of Bush's black beans and pinto beans, chunks of sweet potato and carrots, barley, and quinoa, to name just a few of the ingredients.
Just like my vegan chile, I added cocoa powder to this one too. Because I love the rich flavor it brings to chili as it mixes with the other spices.
And if it’s not spicy enough for you, you can also add a little more heat to this chili by adding more chile powder or jalapeños.
My daddy is probably rolling over in his grave because I made a vegan chili (gasp!). He was a big meat lover.
But I'm sure if he was still with us, he would admit this chili is worth another bowl!
Slow Cooker Vegan Sweet Potato and Carrot Chili
A hearty and flavorful vegan chili with sweet potatoes, carrots, and Bush's beans.Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 6 to 8 hours
Total time: 8 hours and 20 minutes
Yield: 12 to 14 servings
- 2-32 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, and cut into cubes
- 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 5 carrots, washed, peeled, and cut
- 3-15.5 ounce cans Bush's Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1-15.5 ounce can Bush's pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 green Bell pepper, washed, seeded, and diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup barley, uncooked
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1-28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1-14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chile powder
- 2 teaspoons homemade taco seasoning
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, coarsely chopped
- 1-7 ounce can diced green chilies
- pinch sea salt to taste
- Prepare crockpot (7 quarts or larger) by lightly wiping inside with olive oil. I find this helps prevent food from sticking to the inside, which makes for easier cleanup.
- Add all ingredients into crockpot, stir together, cover.
- Cook on Low setting for 6-8 hours. If you're home when making, stir ingredients every few hours.
- Serve warm with cornbread or tortilla chips.
- Top with sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheese, diced onions, jalapenos, avocado, or tomatoes.
- This recipe is for a 7 quart or larger crockpot. If you want to make a small batch, just half the ingredients.