Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Friday, May 16, 2014

Gluten-free Lemon Pound Cake


Since I’m lovin’ all things lemon these days, this recipe really caught my eye…Lemon glazed pound cake…Oh My! When I first saw this recipe by Food.com member Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle, my mouth started watering, my tummy rumbled, and I knew I just had to make this sweet lemony delight!

Actually this recipe is a first for me as I’ve never made a pound cake before. Yes, another first! So ya see, this whole lemon loving thing is really a blessing in disguise as I’m trying new recipes I never would have made before but I am making now because they encompass the quintessence of lemon flavoring. There you have it, a win-win for everybody!!


And lemon desserts are great for spring and summer as they are refreshingly light and sweetly citrusy, reminding you of summers past!

The only modification I made to the pound cake was using a rice flour blend so the cake itself is gluten-free. I also substituted my Myer's lemon syrup for drizzling over the pound cake instead of the lemon glaze as listed in the original recipe. Only because I just love the sweet, lemony taste of my lemon syrup and I knew it would be delicious drizzled all over this pound cake. And I was right! {smile}.

What’s best about this cake is that you can enjoy it no matter what time of day it is - in the morning when you’re enjoying a cup of coffee or tea, as a mid-day sweet snack, for an after dinner dessert, or you can have some just because. This lemon pound cake is just that good!


Gluten-free Lemon Pound Cake

Ingredients

1 and ½ cups Betty Crocker’s all-purpose gluten-free rice flour blend

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon sea salt

1 cup butter, unsalted and softened to room temperature

1 cup granulated sugar

4 large eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Lemon zest from 1 lemon

¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

**Ingredients and Directions on how to make my recipe for Myer's Lemon Syrup found here. **

Directions

If using a metal pan, preheat the oven to 350F degrees. If using a glass pan or stoneware, preheat the oven to 325F degrees.

Using an 8 ½ x  4 ½  x  2  ½ inch loaf pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray and line with parchment paper (Make sure you have some paper hanging over the edges as you will be lifting the cake from the pan after cooling). Set aside.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients - rice flour blend, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, add softened butter, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and blend until thoroughly mixed.

With mixer at low speed, add eggs in one at a time until creamy.

Add in vanilla extract.

Slowly add in dry ingredients until mixture is smoothly blended.

Pour mixture into prepared pan.

Bake for 50-60 minutes. Depending on your oven and type of pan used. Check cake at 45 minutes.

Bake until tester inserted into middle of cake comes out dry and clean (a few crumbs is ok).

Remove cake from oven.

Let cool in pan for 15 minutes.

After 15 minutes, lift cake out of pan with edges of parchment paper and place top down on a wire rack.

Gently peel off parchment paper and turn cake over so it can now cool completely (top up).

While cake is cooling, prepare my recipe for Myer’s lemon syrup found here.

Before serving, drizzle Myer’s lemon syrup over sliced cake pieces and enjoy!


Featured at Great Idea Thursdays #56 and Great Idea Thursdays #57

Shared with:#glutenfreefridays #91 , Share it One More Time Party 05/17/2014 , Anything Goes Linky #154@Bacon Time, The Makers No.18, Time to Sparkle #61, The Southern Special #8, Simple Supper Tuesday #63, Wine'd Down Wednesday #36, Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop #74, Inspire Us Thursday Link Party #51, Pin it Thursday , Great Idea Thursdays #56, Wake Up Wednesday "Linky" #17, The Wednesday Roundup #26, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays #21, Lets Get Real Party #40, Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends #29, Pretty Pintastic Party #4, Friday Link Party #68, Pinworthy Projects Link Party #19, Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party #96, Savoring Saturdays #16, Skip the Housework Party #20, Recipe Sharing Monday #96 + Features, Inspiration Monday Party 05/25/2014, Munching Mondays #40, Busy Monday #115



All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.