Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Monday, September 22, 2014

Soft Gingersnap Cookies


This isn’t the recipe I was planning on sharing with y’all this week, but as my life goes here lately, I can’t plan on what I’ve planned on doing. These cookies were made from more of a need than a want, but after munching on a few, I realized I needed to share ‘em with y’all.


I wanted to make something, ok everything, pumpkin this weekend. But I had a sour tummy all weekend and didn’t have much of an appetite for anything. I couldn’t drink water without my tummy hurting and even chicken broth and crackers upset me. I was not a happy camper, especially since I had a few days off from work {princess pouty face}.

Ya see, I needed something to help calm my tummy as the Pepto Bismol, ginger ale, chicken broth, bread, milk, and soda water (separately, not all mixed up together like a tummy calming cocktail, although I might be onto something there!) was not working fast enough. And since I wanted to bake something, I thought I would try gingersnaps instead of my pumpkin treats I had planned.

I remember my pregnant friends nibbling on gingersnaps for their morning sickness. And since I tried every other remedy I could think of, my thoughts were “why not?” After all, gingersnaps are Fall-ish with all their spices. It was a win-win!


I found these soft gingersnaps from Rachel at Surviving the Stores and loved how they were “healthy” cookies, which was good considering my current sour tummy status.

I was quite surprised that these cookies didn’t upset my tummy like all the other foods I’d tried. It was the first time I could eat something over the last two days that made my tummy feel normal.


These gingersnap cookies are soft and thick with a subtle flavoring of ginger and molasses and just the right amount of sweetness. Making them the perfect cookie for Fall and Christmas, or whenever you have an upset tummy {wink}.

Soft Gingersnap Cookies

Makes about 24 cookies

Ingredients

¾ cup unsalted butter

¾ cup brown sugar, packed

¼ cup organic coconut sugar

½ cup molasses

1 egg

1 and ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract

3 cups whole wheat flour

2 and ½ teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Dash of ground cloves

1 teaspoon baking soda

¼ teaspoon sea salt

For topping after cooking

2 Tablespoons powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugars.

Once butter and sugars are creamy, blend in molasses, egg, and vanilla until thoroughly mixed.

In a medium bowl, add the dry ingredients together - flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, dash of cloves, baking soda, and sea salt.

Slowly add dry ingredients to butter and sugar mixture until well blended. I used my stand mixer for making these, but if you're mixing by hand, you'll need to put a little muscle into it.

Roll about 1 Tablespoon of dough mix together in your hands and place on prepared cookie sheet.

Using a wetted fork, gently press cookies down with tines to flatten to desired shape. These cookies will hold their shape well when cooking so flatten to your preference. Repeat until you have about 6-8 cookies on one sheet.

Place cookie sheet into oven and cook for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven.

While cookies are in the oven, add 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar and ½ teaspoon ground ginger to a small bowl. Mix together with a fork. Set aside.

Remove cookies from oven and let cool for 5 to 10 minutes on the cookie sheet before placing onto a wire rack.

After placing cookies on a wire rack, lightly sift powdered sugar and ginger mix over tops of cookies.

Repeat after each batch is moved onto the wire rack.

Serve with milk and enjoy!


*Helpful Hints*

- You can use any type of flour mixture you prefer.

- You can skip the powdered sugar step and leave your cookies plain. I like the way it makes them look and the extra taste of sugary ginger.

- Much easier clean up if you place wax paper under the wire rack of cookies before sifting with powdered sugar mix.

- All measurements are US All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Wake Up Wednesday "Linky" Party #45