Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Bars


One of the guys at work has been asking begging me to make macadamia nut cookies. Until now, I've been able to put off his request, telling him I can't afford to buy macadamia nuts. I mean really, have you seen the price of these little nuts? For about the cost of Netflix for two months, I can buy one cup of macadamia nuts. So I keep telling him they're out of my budget and if he wants macadamia nut cookies, he needs to buy them and then I will make them for him.

Needless to say, it happened. While I was out of the office one day last week, he stopped by and left a bag of macadamia nuts. He had finally called my bluff. What else was a girl to do?


So this weekend I finally made his cookies, white chocolate macadamia nut cookie bars. And these cookies are D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S.

They remind me of the Sirens that were known in Greek mythology that tempted sailors of the seas with their enchanting melodies. These cookies sing to you "come eat me....I am buttery delicious....just one bite...please, come eat me".


Tempting me, drawing me in, with their Siren songs. I had to put them in the cupboard to try and smother their seductive cooing every time I walked by.

And then it happened. I was walking by the kitchen when I heard them cooing from the depths of the cupboard. Next thing I know, I'm ripping open the bag of cookies like a ravenous wolf and crumbs are flying all over the place.

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a reflection of my image in a teapot on the stove. Wide eyed and hair tousled with a mouthful of cookies. It was scary, I tell you, scary!

My cat was shivering in a corner as I stared wide eyed at him like he was a big cookie.

Needless to say, I quickly regained my composure and cleaned up the mess before making another batch of these cookies for my co-worker. This time I hid them in the refrigerator, suppressing their enchanting come hither me songs, until I was able to take them into work on Monday.

My co-workers loved them! But the singing, I can still hear it in my head to this day when I close my eyes.

But don’t let that discourage you from making these cookies for your family and friends. Just don’t leave yourself alone with them out on the kitchen counter or else you too will hear the Siren songs of these cookies.


White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookie Bars

Makes a whole lot of cookies

Ingredients

3 and 1/3 cups all-purpose flour

1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon sea salt

2 Tablespoons Corn starch

1 and ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature

1 and ½ cups brown sugar, packed

2/3 cup granulated sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 large eggs

2 cups (1- 12 ounce package) white chocolate chips

1 and ½ cups macadamia nuts, chopped

1 – 11” x 15” cookie sheet

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F degrees.

Spray cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and corn starch. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, add softened butter, sugars, and vanilla. Cream together.

Blend in eggs.

Slowly add in dry ingredients. Blending well.

Stir in macadamia nuts. Once nuts are blended throughout mixture, stir in 1 and 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips.

Spread onto prepared cookie sheet. Pressing down with either a wooden spoon or your hands.

Place into oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.

Remove from oven and sprinkle remaining white chocolate chips over cookies*. You can place back in the oven for just a few minutes to help soften the chips. Making sure to watch them closely so the chips will not brown or burn.

Let cool before cutting and serving.

Inspired by ~ Nestle White Chip Island Cookies

*Helpful Hints*

- I had a little extra cookie dough left so I made about 1 Tablespoonful drops of cookie dough, placed them onto a separate prepared cookie sheet (with non-stick spray) and baked as cookies for about 10-12 minutes. This gave me about 5 extra cookies {smile}.

- *Remaining white chocolate chips are sprinkled over the top after baking because they tend to brown and burn during the baking process. This keeps them white, yet still soft and yummy.

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Sweet and Savoury Sundays #102