Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Monday, September 14, 2015

Chicken Taco Bowls


I love Mexican food! Although I've been eating it, I know I haven't posted any Mexican food recipes in quite some time. Please don't hate me.

The reason being is sometimes I just don't feel like taking photos before I eat what I make. My hunger overtakes my need for photos. Does that make me a bad food blogger?

So when The Daily Meal and Perdue asked me to create a recipe with chicken, my first thought was this Chicken Taco Bowl. What better way to enjoy chicken than in Mexican food. And what better way to promote Perdue's "farm to family meals" than with this healthy Chicken Taco Bowl!
Chicken, quinoa, fresh tomatoes, avocados, and onions make this one delicious meal in a bowl.

Another reason why I love Perdue chicken!
And this is so easy to make. You cook the chicken in the crockpot so all you have to do when you get home is cook the quinoa and chop the avocado, onion, and tomatoes. Throw it all in a bowl and serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, and cheese.



It's also great for when you want to watch the game in the TV room or eat outside without all the mess of tacos. It's my favorite go to dinner these days when I'm craving Mexican food.

And the kids will never know its good for you too with quinoa, chicken, and fresh vegetables. I'll keep your secret!


I promise I won't wait so long before my next Mexican food recipe. Pinky promise.

The best part about this? You can get a coupon for Perdue chicken here. Just click on the link I just gave you and go to Perdue's page, scroll down, and there is a coupon for $1.50 off your next two Perdue products. It's a winner, winner, chicken dinner!


Chicken Taco Bowls

Recipe by Julie Murphy
A convenient way to enjoy chicken tacos in a bowl without all the mess.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 4 to 6 hours (for chicken)
Total time: 6 hours and 20 minutes (includes crockpot cooking time for chicken)
Yield: 4 chicken taco bowls
Ingredients
  • 6 cups organic quinoa, cooked
  • 1 lb. chicken breast, skinless & boneless
  • 1 large can (28 ounces) red enchilada sauce, mild
  • 1 can (15.25 ounces) sweet corn, drained
  • 1 small can (2.25 ounces) sliced olives
  • 1 can (16 ounces) dark red kidney beans, drained
  • 2 tomato, diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 avocados, halved and diced
  • 1 bag tortilla chips
  • Top with plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
  • cilantro
Cooking Directions
  1. Lightly wipe inside of crockpot with olive oil, wiping off any excess with a clean, dry paper towel.
  2. Remove chicken from package and place chicken breast in bottom of crockpot.
  3. Pour enchilada sauce over chicken. Stir with a wooden spoon to cover bottom of chicken with sauce.
  4. Set to Low setting and cover. Cook 4 to 6 hours at Low setting.
  5. After chicken is cooked all the way through, remove from crockpot and place on a clean plate. Using 2 forks, shred chicken. Place shredded chicken back into the crockpot. Place on warming setting.
  6. Stir in corn and olives with shredded chicken. Cover.
  7. Prepare quinoa as directed on package.
  8. After quinoa is ready, mix with drained kidney beans. Add 1 and 1/2 cups into each bowl.
  9. Place tortilla chips around the entire edge of the bowls, with triangle points sticking out as shown in photo.
  10. Layer 3/4 to 1 cup shredded chicken mix over top of quinoa.
  11. Layer 1/2 avocado over quinoa in each bowl.
  12. Layer desired amount of tomato and onion over top of quinoa.
  13. Top with cheese cubes (as shown) or shredded cheese, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, and cilantro.
  14. Serve with tortilla chips.

*Helpful Hints*
 
- You can use red or black quinoa or a mix of them for a more colorful bowl. I used regular and red quinoa.

- If you don't like quinoa, you can always use rice.

Disclaimer ~ This is a product post for @PerdueChicken. I was not paid for this post. All ideas and opinions are my own.
 
All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Savoring Saturdays