Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Saturday, June 21, 2014

Potato Salad


Ah, summer is finally here and what’s one of the best things about summer? Bar-B-Q’s or as they call it here in the South, grilling out with family and friends. And a popular food to bring to one of these get togethers is potato salad. You can probably call potato salad an all-time American favorite dish since it’s found on most plates throughout America during the summertime.


I didn’t learn how to make potato salad until I moved to the Georgia so I guess you can call this a traditional southern potato salad, simple yet deliciously creamy. I don’t know what it is about Southerner’s, but they sure do know how to cook!

I’ve been wanting to make potato salad for the last few weeks now and I finally got around to it. I guess I was waiting for the days to get warmer since potato salad always reminds me of 4th of July get togethers with the family.

Now you can use any type of potato you prefer, but I happened to pick up Albert Bartlett Rooster potatoes because it was a small bag and I didn’t want a lot of potatoes. And what a great choice this was as this little potato has a nutty, buttery flavoring with light yellow fluffy flesh which makes it the perfect type of potato to star in my potato salad!


Of course I didn’t realize this at the time of purchase {smile}….I told you some of my best recipes happen by mistake and this is one of them because this little potato adds a deliciously creamy flavor to my potato salad. Making this a splendid dish to any get together!

Potato Salad

Ingredients

2.2 pound bag of Albert Bartlett Rooster Potatoes - washed, boiled, and cut into small quarters

1 small sweet Italian red Onion, diced

1 and ½ cup celery, diced and chopped

3-4 hard-boiled eggs, diced and chopped

2 cups mayonnaise (your personal preference, I love Miracle Whip, so that’s what I used)

Salt & Pepper to taste


Directions

Prepare potatoes, onion, celery, and eggs and place into a large mixing bowl. Add mayonnaise and mix all ingredients together. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cover and place in refrigerator until time to serve.

*Helpful Hints*

- Make sure you let potatoes cool off before cutting into quarter sizes since they will be hot to the touch.

- You can leave out the eggs if you prefer to keep this a vegan dish.

- You can use a Maui red onion if you can’t find the small Italian red onion. It has the same taste but in a smaller version.

- You can use any type of mayonnaise you prefer. I just happen to love the deliciously tangy flavor of Miracle Whip mayo!

- I keep the skins on my potatoes since that is where all the nutrients come from plus I’m too lazy to peel them!

- I wash my potatoes in warm, soapy water with a brush before cooking.

- Just remember, potato salad can spoil easily if left out too long causing food poisoning. Make sure to keep chilled until time to serve and put back in refrigerator as soon as possible.

- All measurements are US

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

Featured week of 07/06/2014 at ~  Sweet and Savoury Sunday Link Party #69

Shared with: Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #12, Simple Supper Tuesday #68, Tickle my Tastebuds Tuesday #6 - Get Your Link On!, The Wednesday Roundup Week #31:: A Link Party, Wonderful Wednesday #79, Wake Up Wednesday "Linky" #22 , Great Idea Thursdays 60.1, Pin it Thursday, glutenfreefridays #97, Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends #34, #Gethimfed Fridays No. {41}, Anything Goes Linky #160, Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party #101, Pretty Pintastic Party #9, Pinworthy Projects Link Party #24, Savoring Saturdays #21, Say G'day Saturday Linky Party, Snickerdoodle Sunday, Skip the Housework party, From the Farm Hop 6/27/14, Sweet & Savoury Sunday #68, Share it Sunday {34}, Recipe Sharing Monday #100 - Fond Farewell Party, Mix it up Monday!, Munching Mondays #45, Busy Monday 120, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays - Week #27, Let's get Real Friday Party #46
      
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.