Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Sweet Cherry Coconut Sherbet


Ever since I made my Homemade Coconut ice cream, I’ve been on an ice cream kick here lately, trying anything and everything frozen!! It surely can’t be all this hot weather we’re having, can it? After all, who wants to turn on the oven when it’s hot and humid outside? Not this girl.

Who knew there were so many frozen sweet treats out there that are so easy and quick to make! All this hot weather is teaching me a whole different side to creating treats and I’m liking….nope, I’m loving it! Because not only can I leave my oven off, but I get to eat what I make too {smile}! That’s what I call a win-win!! Lucky for my waist line, these are all healthy treats as compared to cookies, pies, and cakes.
 

This past week I was craving cherries. So I got to thinking, why not add cherries to make a frozen treat? Now the only thing the matter with that is the pits in the cherries. I wasn’t looking forward to slicing the cherries in order to get the pit out since cherries are small and it just seemed like a messy idea.

Then I remembered seeing cherries in the frozen food section at my local store. It was as if a light went off above my head, just like in the cartoons! I got this big ol’ stupid smile on my face and took off to the store with a cloud of dust trailing behind me. I was on my way!!

And then I found them….like a beam of light coming from the freezer door as I was standing there in the aisle with the angels singing…were my frozen cherries (without pits)!


Now I’m not calling this ice cream, nor ice milk, sorbet, or gelato. This has more of a texture as that of a sherbet or as American's call it, sherbert. A sherbet is like a sorbet, but it contains milk for creaminess. And since coconut milk is more of a "creamy" milk and not a fruit juice by standards, then this fits the category of sherbet.
 

The result is a beautiful pink and deliciously, sweet cherry, coconutty frozen sherbet that is not only dairy free, but also soy free, gluten-free, nut free, with no additional preservatives or artificial coloring added, and no churn needed to make this. I really love that part {smile}!



Sweet Cherry Coconut Sherbet

Serves – 4 small bowls or 2 large bowls

Ingredients

1 cup Coconut milk, canned

1 cup Cream of coconut

1 cup whole pitted cherries

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

½ teaspoon coconut extract

2 Tablespoons powdered sugar

¼ cup shredded coconut *(optional)*

Directions

Dice cherries and add into a large mixing bowl. Add rest of ingredients with cherries to bowl.

Using either a hand mixer or stand mixer, whip for about 5 minutes until all ingredients are combined and there are no lumps, except for the diced cherries.

Pour into freezer safe bowl and freeze overnight.

If using a blender ~

Add all ingredients, except for ½ cup diced cherries, into a blender. Place lid on and with setting on Puree, pulse until all ingredients are mixed well. Scrape sides with a spatula and puree for another minute.

Gently fold in remaining cherries by hand.

Pour into a freezer safe bowl and freeze overnight.

Can serve as is or top with shredded coconut, diced cherries, homemade chocolate syrup, or anything to your liking. Enjoy!

*Helpful Hints *

- Adding shredded coconut is optional. If you don’t like the texture of shredded coconut you can leave it out and still enjoy the delicious tropical taste of coconut. I love coconut, so I added it for texture.

- All measurements are US

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

Featured at ~
The Princess & Her Cowboys
 
 

 Shared with: #Gethimfed Fridays No. {41}, Anything Goes Linky #160, Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party #101, Pretty Pintastic Party #9, Pinworthy Projects Link Party #24, City of Links #25, Snickerdoodle Sunday, Share One More Time Party and Features, Sweet and Savoury Sunday #68, Share it Sunday {34}, Recipe Sharing Monday #100- Fond Farewell Final Party + Features, Mix it up Monday!, Munching Mondays #45, Busy Monday 120, Simple Supper Tuesday #69, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #13, Tasty Tuesday Link Up, The Southern Special Week #13, The Makers No. 24, Wine'd Down Wednesday 42, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays - Week #27, Great Idea Thursdays 60.2, Inspire Us Thursday Link Party #57, Wake Up Wednesday "Linky" Party, The Wednesday Roundup #32, Pin it Thursday, Let's Get Real Friday Party #46, #glutenfreefridays #98, Freedom Fridays with All My Bloggy Friends #35, #37, Pin Junkie Pin Party #74, Say G'day Saturday Linky Party {94}, Skip the Housework Party #26, Inspiration Monday, Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop #81
      
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.
Follow on Bloglovin