Monday, April 28, 2014

Gluten-free Lemon Crepes with Lemon Cream Cheese Filling

I woke up with a craving at 6:00 this morning for..….you guessed it, the taste of something sweet and lemony. Wow, that really is a word, lemony, and not just in my world, thank you very much! {smile}

I don’t know why this lemon craving is so intense. I want to eat anything and everything lemon. If I didn’t know any better, I would think I was pregnant! Whew, good thing I know better {wink}!

Since it’s my cheat day (Yaay!) I’m making lemon crepes with lemon cream cheese filling with my sweet lemon syrup drizzled all over them! Are you drooling yet? Because I am.


Yesterday I went to the store to buy the ingredients to make this lemon lover’s breakfast and while I was waiting in line for the checkout, I saw a lemon and mint gum and I had to use every ounce of my willpower not to buy it. I should have bought it, it just looked so good. I mean lemon and mint gum! That means I could satisfy my craving anytime and anywhere with this little lemon flavored gum, what was I thinking not buying it??? I’m buying it next time I go to the store {chuckle}.

In the meantime, my morning lemon feast of crepes with lemon cream cheese filling covered in lemon syrup should satisfy my craving, at least for a little while.

While it might sound like a lot of lemon to some of you, trust me, it’s not. The lemon essence is light and delicate with each layer and texture enhancing the other, so it’s like a sugary lemon explosion in your mouth!

Ok enough talk, let’s get to making these so my craving can be satisfied because there’s nothing more dangerous than a woman with a craving other than a hungry woman with a craving!


Ingredients for Gluten-free Lemon Crepes

3 eggs

1 and ¼ cups Buttermilk

2 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1 cup sifted all-purpose rice flour blend

2 Tablespoons Myer’s Lemon juice, freshly squeezed

Pinch of Lemon zest

Ingredients for Lemon Cream Cheese Filling

8 ounces Whipped Cream cheese

½ cup powdered sugar

1 Tablespoon lemon zest

2 Tablespoons Myer’s lemon juice, freshly squeezed

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon lemon extract

2 Tablespoons plain yogurt

Directions for making Lemon Cream Cheese Filling

Combine whipped cream cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, lemon extract, and yogurt into a large mixing bowl.

Whip with either a hand mixer or stand mixer until all ingredients are combined and mixture is smooth.

*Add powdered sugar in small amounts so the powdered sugar won’t fly out of the bowl and all over your kitchen. It still might, but not as bad as if you added it all at once.*

Once thoroughly mixed, place in refrigerator until crepes are cooked and you’re ready to fill the crepes.

Directions for making Lemon Crepes

Combine eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, rice flour, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.

Spray skillet with non-stick spray and place over medium heat on stove top.

Pour approximately 2 Tablespoons of batter into middle of pan, spreading batter thinly around pan until batter forms a thin circle in the pan.

Cook until edges start to brown, then flip over until cooked.


Remove crepe from pan and place aside on a separate plate.

Once crepes are cooked, take approximately two Tablespoons of lemon crepe filling and place in middle of crepe, spreading a thin line from one side to the other.


Roll crepe up and place on a separate plate. Repeat until all crepes are rolled up with filling inside.

Drizzle with Myers lemon syrup, sprinkle with powdered sugar, and serve.


*Helpful Hints*

- Best if filling is made the night before so flavors can mingle together overnight.

- I used Betty Crocker's all-purpose Gluten-free rice flour blend to make these.

Featured week of 05/07/2014 at:

Featured week of 05/13/2014 at:

Featured week of 05/23/2014 at: Savoring Saturdays #16

Shared with: Lets Get Real Friday Link Party #37, Gluten-Free Fridays #89, All Things Thursday Blog Hop #43, Weekend Potluck Link Party, Say G'day Saturday Linky party #85, Boost Your Facebook Post party 05/02/2014, Simple Saturdays Blog hop #21, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #5, Wednesday Roundup #24, The Makers No.16, Time Sparkle #59, Wonderfully Creative Wednesdays #19, Skip the Housework Saturday 05/10/2014, Super Saturday Afternoon Tea Link-Up #12, Marvelous Mondays 98, Busy Monday #113, Link it or Lump it Party #37, Savoring Saturdays #15

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

42 comments:

  1. No. You. Didn't. Mmmmmm seriously, crepes and omletes intimidate me, but now I'm going to have to get over it, just to have this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. Yes. I. did! Just think of crepes as thin pancakes Celeste, thin pancakes with filling. Nothing to be intimated about since they are quite easy to make. If you can make pancakes, then you can make crepes!

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing! I haven't made crepes in years but you have inspired me and the lemony cream cheese filling is irrisistible. Stopping by from the Get Him Fed party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy I inspired you! Thanks for stopping by Terri ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow! I've never made gluten free crepes, but that may need to change very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to try these Julia!

      Delete
  4. These look delicious! You had me at "cream cheese filling."
    Thank you for sharing at this week's Super Saturday Afternoon Tea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy & I hope you love 'em!

      Delete
  5. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing on Gluten-Free Wednesdays this week! :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The lemon cream cheese filling sounds so yum!! :)
    “hugs” Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  7. These lemon crepes are look soooooooooo GOOD !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Winnie and they really taste good too!

      Delete
  8. This sounds awesome. I never thought of making the crepes lemon flavored. I bet they woud be great just filled with whipped cream and bananas too. I'm pinning this. Seen on Wednesday Roundup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy and many thanks for pinning too!

      Delete
  9. These look so tasty :X Thanks for sharing the idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing this at Domestic Superhero's pinworthy projects link party last week- I am going to be featuring it tomorrow! Come on back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for featuring this recipe Allyson! I will be working tomorrow but will stop by Saturday. Have a fabulous week ;)

      Delete
  11. Hey Julie, Thanks for sharing this with Great Idea Thursdays. I'm featuring this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for featuring this recipe Joy! Have a great week ;)

      Delete
  12. Oh, be still my heart! This looks absolutely fabulous! I love lemons and used to eat wedges of them when I was a kid and I never grew out of that. This will definitely be on my breakfast table soon. Thanks for sharing at Wine'd Down Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and I hope you love these as much as I do! And they're even better with my homemade Myer's Lemon syrup. Have a wonderful weekend ;)

      Delete
  13. DomesticSuperHero linked your post to her post and I just HAD to come over and get the recipe...reading it and looking at your pictures has my mouth watering!! I'm heading for a visit with my father and I'll be trying this recipe out on him!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you both enjoy it! So glad you stopped by ;)

      Delete
  14. This looks amazing!! Pinned! Thanks for being part of our party. Please come and show off on Monday at 7 pm. We would really love it, if you did. http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Saturday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberly for pinning these and see you Monday @ 7pm ;)

      Delete
  15. I adore lemon, these crepes look lovely. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura and I hope you're having a fabulous day too!!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing at Tasty Tuesday. I will be featuring your post in my GF features this week. Please stop by and grab a featured button to show off. Have a wonderful week! Charlie http://pickledokra.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Charlie for featuring my recipe!! Will definitely stop by and visit your blog. Have a fabulous week ;)

      Delete
  17. These look so inviting! Congrats, your post is being featured at The Wednesday Roundup this week. This week we also are hosting a Twitter hop, so hop on over when you get a chance. http://bit.ly/1nIEayR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine and I will be there!! Thanks again for featuring my recipe ;)

      Delete
  18. Featuring this on tonight's Savoring Saturdays! Thank you so much for sharing - hope you'll come back tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Raia for featuring my recipe this week!! I'm definitely coming back to Savoring Saturdays tonight ;)

      Delete
  19. Your Lemon Crepes were the most viewed recipe at Savoring Saturdays. You will be featured when the party goes live at 7pm. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaay!! Thank you so much for featuring my recipe for this weeks Savoring Saturdays Eva!! See you there tonight ;)

      Delete