Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Candied Ginger


As promised, here is the recipe for making candied ginger at home for a lot less than they sell it in the stores.

Have you ever tried candied ginger? Or yet making your own candied ginger at home?

I wanted to make my own candied ginger for my Gingerbread Cake and saw the price of what they were asking for it at my local grocery store, about $12.00 for a small spice jar! Unbelievable, $12.00! I knew there had to be a way to make it myself for a whole lot less. And I was right.

The cost to make your own candied ginger at home is less than $5.00. All you need is ginger root, sugar, and about 20 minutes of your time. That's it! Well, a food scale too, but lucky for me, I already had one of those.

The only recipe I could find for making candied ginger was for making one pound of candied ginger. I don't know about you, but one pound of candied ginger is way too much for me and I didn't need that much. So I've streamlined the recipe so you can make it for any amount you want.


It's so easy to make, I can't believe I've never had candied ginger before. And after learning how to make it, it's definitely not going to be my last batch here.

The best part about making this at home, is getting to suck on the spoon after your finished! The spoon becomes a giant candied ginger lollipop!

See, there is fun to making foods yourself at home {smile}.

Candied Ginger

Makes 2 ounces of candied ginger

Ingredients

2 and ½ cups water

2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and sliced*

2 ounces granulated sugar (2 ounces = 4 Tablespoons or  ¼ cup sugar)

Wax paper

Directions

Add water and prepared ginger into a small saucepan. Bring to boil and continue boiling for another 15-20 minutes or until ginger has softened.

Remove saucepan from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Pour off ginger infused water into a separate container. Set aside.

Add ¼ cup of the ginger infused water back into the saucepan along with the granulated sugar and the pieces of softened ginger.

Over medium to high heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly so the sugar does not burn.

Once sugar water starts to boil, turn heat down to medium.

Continue stirring while sugar water boils until it begins to evaporate and starts to resemble a dry, crystallizing boil, about 15-20 minutes.

Once you notice this, remove pan from heat and quickly place candied ginger on wax paper.

Let cool completely before eating.

Can store in an air tight container for up to two weeks.

Inspired by ~ Alton Brown's  Candied Ginger Recipe

*Helpful Hints*

- I stored mine in the refrigerator to prevent it from becoming soggy. At room temperature I noticed the sugar started melting and losing the dry crumbles.

- *Slice ginger into small bits because in large bites, the candied ginger has quite a bite of spiciness, almost like pepper.*

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.

Shared with: Savoring Saturdays #47