Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Homemade Pineapple Salsa


Today is Cinco de Mayo, one of my favorite Holidays of the year because it gives me an excuse to eat Mexican food! Not that I need an excuse to eat Mexican food because I just love it...but I have a reason today! {smile}

Now I didn't think I was going to be able to share this recipe with you today as I just made this delicious pineapple salsa this morning. And I still had to write out the recipe, take photos, edit, and double edit all myself.

Whew, that sounds like so much to do before the celebrations start this evening! So I'm going to get right to the recipe so you still have time to run to the store, pick up your ingredients, and whip up this salsa before your guests arrive...or the family comes home for dinner.


Whichever one it is, they're going to love this salsa made with all natural ingredients. Yep, no bottled salsa here. This is made with fresh tomatoes, onions, jalapeƱos, cilantro, garlic, with both lemon and lime juice. Plus you can make it depending on your tastes, mild, medium, or hot. And it’s so easy to make.

Now the pineapple was a last minute addition, and I only had a few chunks of fresh pineapple on hand, so I used canned pineapple chunks too. But the flavoring is so much better with the fresh pineapple chunks. Whichever you have available to you, the pineapple really makes this salsa!


Ok, enough from me, onto the recipe. With that said, I raise my chip to you (full of fresh pineapple salsa, of course) and wish you a Happy Cinco de Mayo!


Homemade Pineapple Salsa

Recipe by Julie Murphy
A delicious homemade pineapple salsa
Prep time: 20
Cook time: 0
Total time: 30
Yield: 1 and 1/2 Liters
Ingredients
  • 6 tomatoes
  • 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks (or 1 - 20 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained)
  • 2 jalapenos, seeded
  • 1 sweet yellow onion
  • 1 small red onion (or 1/2 of a large one)
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 2-3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 teaspoon agave nectar
  • 1 Tablespoon Cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • Pinch paprika
  • 2-3 dashes ground black pepper
Directions
  1. If you like a chunky salsa (like me) leave a couple of the tomatoes and 1/2 of the sweet onion out and chop by hand. Adding into large pitcher and setting aside.
  2. While you place all other ingredients into a food processor or blender and pulse until you get desired texture and add into pitcher.
  3. Stir together well, making sure to blend ingredients on bottom of pitcher into mixture. A wooden spoon works well for this.
  4. Serve immediately or you can cover and refrigerate until serving.
  5. Best served with tortilla chips, nachos, tacos, eggs, or any Mexican dish.
  6. Refrigerate in a covered container for up to 1 week.


*Helpful Hints*

- Wear gloves when cutting and seeding the jalapenos.

- If you like a Hot salsa, leave the seeds in the jalapenos.

- For a milder salsa, you can leave out the jalapenos.

- Remember, its much easier to add salt than fix a too salty dish, so add little salt at a time to taste.


All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.