Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Lemon Curd


My love for lemons is returning now that the sun is shining and the flowers are in bloom. It never was really gone, just sitting there on the back burner because I didn't want y'all to think "another lemon recipe, geesh, get over it already."

So I took a little break and made other foods. Of course I feel the same way about coconut. Just give me endless lemons and coconut and I will be a happy girl! Oh all the recipes I still have to try with my two loves, lemon and coconut.

Which brings us to this recipe, Lemon Curd. I've seen this recipe everywhere and I've been wanting to make it but just never have....until now. And I've got to ask myself "what in the world was I thinking to put off this recipe for so long?" I mean yummy, sweet, lemon curd reminds me of a lemon pudding, it's just thicker and has a little more zing.

So if you love lemon pudding like I do, then you're going to fall hard for lemon curd. The best part about it (other than being lemon) is you can use it for many things from putting it on scones to using it in tarts, cupcakes, and even cakes. It's so versatile and brings such a sweet lemony taste to anything you put it on. Although my favorite is on a spoon straight out of the jar.

Hmm, maybe that will be my next recipe, lemon curd on a spoon! Ha!

And I did all the hard work here to let you know if there is any difference between using butter or margarine in your lemon curd. I used the exact same recipe for both, Martha Stewart's Lemon Curd recipe, using butter in one batch and margarine in the other.

The reason I chose Martha Stewart's recipe is because everything she makes is delicious. Plus this is an easy recipe to make with only five ingredients and you can make it in under 15 minutes. How easy is that?


Both batches had a nice, thick custard texture. Believe it or not, the only difference I could tell was the margarine batch had more of a buttery flavor to it. While the butter batch had more of a sweet and tangy lemon flavor.

Both were delicious and depending on what kind of flavor you're going for, either one would work great for what you want to use it for. The main decision on which one you want to make depends all on what you have available to you at the time you decide to make your own batch of lemon curd.

If you get a chance to make both batches, let me know which one you like better, the butter version or the batch made with margarine.

Lemon Curd

Comparing the difference between butter and margarine in homemade Lemon curd.
Prep time: 5
Cook time: 7
Total time: 15
Yield: 1 cup
Ingredients
  • 3 Egg yolks, strained
  • Zest from 1 Lemon
  • 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 4 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (can also use margarine)
  • 1 wooden spoon
Cooking Directions
  1. In a small saucepan, add yolks, lemon zest, lemon juice, and sugar. Whisk together to blend.
  2. Over medium heat, stir constantly with a wooden spoon. If mixture starts boiling, turn heat down. Also making sure to scrape sides and bottom of pan when stirring. Cook until mixture coats back of wooden spoon, about 5-7 minutes.
  3. Remove pan from heat and gradually add in butter pieces, stirring well until all butter pieces are melted. Mixture should have a smooth consistency.
  4. Using a spatula, pour mixture into a small bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd to help prevent a skin from forming on the top. Wrap tightly.
  5. Place in refrigerator and let chill and firm up at least one hour before using. Transfer into an airtight container for storage. Store up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.