Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Homemade Lemon Pudding

 
I love the warm months with all the varieties of fruit and vegetables available during this time. Right now, I’m loving the strawberries, oranges, and lemons. Especially the lemons with their refreshingly citrus taste that can be added to anything and everything from meats to sweet treats.

Lemons remind me of summers when I was growing up. My BFF and I would use lemons for everything from lightening our hair and freckles, adding it to our iced tea or water, and just eating them raw, peel and all! Yep, we loved our lemons! Maybe that’s why lemons always remind me of the warmer weather months.

I’ve been wanting to make a homemade pudding recipe since I came across a homemade vanilla pudding recipe on Pinterest and it looked so easy to make and so yummy. Plus, I have never made homemade pudding before. This is true, never have I made a homemade pudding {shocked}!
I’m kinda ashamed to admit this, but the closest I’ve come to making homemade pudding is pouring the instant pudding into a bowl with milk and blending it with an electric mixer….at home. To me, that was homemade pudding!

Imagine my surprise when I finally did make this homemade pudding recipe and found out how easy it is to make and with no added preservatives or artificial coloring. Now since I’ve been on a lemon craze, instead of vanilla pudding, I decided to make lemon pudding, and I’m glad I did.

The creaminess of this pudding with the sweet lemon taste takes me back to my childhood summers on a hot, sunny day with my BFF. If we had this pudding growing up, I could picture us laying around the pool eating this refreshingly, sweet lemon pudding while working on our tans all summer long {smile}.

I hope y’all enjoy this lemon pudding and it brings back childhood memories for you too!

Homemade Lemon Pudding

Ingredients

¾ cup granulated sugar

¼ cup cornstarch

2 cups + 2 tablespoons milk

½ cup of half & half

3 large egg yolks, beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon lemon extract

Pinch of fine lemon zest

Dash of sea salt

½ cup fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces

Directions

Separate egg yolks from whites. Lightly beat yolks and set aside.

Combine sugar and cornstarch into a medium saucepan. Do not turn on the heat just yet. Blend the 2 ingredients together.

With the heat still off, add milk and half & half into the pan and whisk until mixture becomes smooth in texture.

Place saucepan over Low heat setting. While the pan is warming up, add the egg yolks, vanilla, lemon extract, salt, and lemon zest.

Once ingredients are blended, turn heat up to a medium-high setting and stir constantly.

Continue to stir pudding mix. You know it’s going to be ready when you lift the spoon up and the pudding sticks to the back of the spoon.

When pudding sticks to back of the spoon, remove pan from heat.

Add in lemon juice and butter, stirring until butter is melted.

Pour into serving dishes and cover with wax paper, to help prevent film from forming on top of pudding.

Place into refrigerator and chill for at least 3-4 hours before eating.
Garnish as desired.

Featured on #GetHimFed Friday 04/25/2014 at Dizzy, Busy, and Hungry, The Southern Special #5

 
Shared with ~ Pin it Thursday, Let's Get Real Link Party #35, Strut Your Stuff Saturday Link Party Week #143, Weekend Potluck #114, Share it One More Time Party 4/19/2014, Boost Your Facebook Post Party, From the Farm Blog Hop, Sweet & Savoury Sundays #58, Inspiration Monday Party #32, Savoring Saturdays #11, Gingham & Roses Social Media Hop #16, The Sunday Social Blog Hop #11, The Southern Special , Simple Supper Tuesday #60, Wednesday Roundup #22



All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.