Sweet and Spicy Monkey has moved to: www.sweetandspicymonkey.com

Friday, May 23, 2014

Lemon Trifle


Oh, be still my beating heart….No, your eyes are not deceiving you. Yes, this is a lemon trifle!

Sometimes I have to pinch myself when something is too good to be true and this is one of those times. Just when I thought I'd made one of the yummiest lemony treats with my Lemon Coconut Refrigerator cake, I was truly blown away with this next recipe.

Funny thing is, I didn't even think of making it until I saw lemon Oreos. Yes, Oreos make lemon cream Oreo cookies!!!!! Truly a sign from God!! And she loves lemon too!!


I have to say lemon Oreos are the bomb! Creamy lemon filling between two cookies....OMG!! That's oh my goodness by the way {wink}. Once I saw the lemon Oreos, my mind started racing. And away it went...

Of course this was also after I'd made my lemon pound cake, so I thought why not combine them with the lemon Oreos, lemon pudding, and cool whip for a creamy, lemony layered delight!!


I never knew trifles were so easy to make, they look so elegant and beautiful with their creamy layers of goodness. It looks like you spent all day in the kitchen preparing it. Obviously, a secret well kept!

This makes for a great dessert for any get together as it serves plenty. I even had enough to make a single serving trifle for me {smile}!
 

After all the hard work {wink}, it was only fitting that I reward myself with a little taste of this lemony delight!!


  Lemon Trifle

Ingredients

1 Lemon pound cake , sliced and cut into small, finger-size squares

1 package Lemon Oreos

2 – 3.4 ounce packages of Instant Lemon pudding with 4 cups cold milk

1 – 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature

1 family size Cool Whip (or two 8 ounce sizes)

1 cup powdered sugar

1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions

Make lemon pound cake either the night before making trifle or early in the morning so it has time to cool off.

Make instant lemon pudding as indicated in directions on box. Chill in refrigerator.

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until creamy. (A stand or hand mixer works best for this).

Slowly mix in powdered sugar in small amounts so it doesn’t fly all over your kitchen (don't ask me how I know this {chuckle}).

Add lemon juice and mix until blended.

Gently fold in Cool Whip until all ingredients are combined. Chill in refrigerator as you prepare next step.

In a large trifle glassware, crumble enough lemon Oreo cookies and lemon pound cake squares to cover bottom of glassware.

Layer lemon pudding over Oreo’s and pound cake squares, enough to cover them.

Layer Cool Whip mixture over pudding.

Repeat with Oreo cookie crumbs and lemon pound cake squares, layering with lemon pudding and Cool Whip mix.

Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.

Serve and enjoy!


*Helpful Hints*

- By the way, I heard in certain circles that Lemon Oreos might be a seasonal item (not sure if its spring or summer only or both) so make sure you go to your local supermarket and pick some up if you want to make this.

- Lemon pound cake recipe found here.

- Can increase amount of pudding and Cool Whip to 3 boxes of instant Lemon pudding and three - 8 ounce containers of Cool Whip if you want thicker layers. What I listed in ingredients list was definitely enough for my large Trifle glassware

- Best if you let it chill overnight

- Can also use light or fat-free cream cheese

- Can substitute light or fat-free Cool Whip.

- All measurements are US


All content and images are property of Sweet and Spicy Monkey. Please do not reprint this content without my permission. If you wish to include this recipe on your site, please re-write in your own words and use your own photographs and link back to this post for original recipe.

Featured week of 05/30/2014 at:

Featured week 05/31/2014 at: 22 Summer Fruit Recipes shared at Freedom Fridays
Featured week of 06/01/2014 at:

Shared with: Anything Goes Linky @ Bacon Time, Share it One More Time Party 05/24/2014, Share it Sunday {29}, Sweet & Savoury Sunday #63, Marvelous Mondays 100 + Dessert Recipes, Mix it up Monday! 05/25/2014, Snickerdoodle Sunday 05/25/2014, Munching Mondays #40, Wine'd Down Wednesday #37, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party #8, Wednesday Roundup #27, Simple Supper Tuesday #64, The Makers No #19, The Southern Special 05/27/2014, Wake Up Wednesday Linky #18, Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop #75, Great Idea Thursdays #57, Inspire Us Thursday Link Party #52, Pin it Thursday 05/28/2014, Lets Get Real Party #41, Pinworthy Projects Link Party #20, Freedom Fridays With All My Bloggy Friends #30, Pretty Pintastic Party #5, Friday Link Party #69, Skip the Housework #21, Foodie Friends Friday Recipes Linky Party #97, Munching Mondays #41, Time to Sparkle #63, City of Links #22, Say G'day Saturday Linky Party {90}, Inspiration Monday 06/08/2014
,,


  
Follow Julie's board Sweet and Spicy Monkey on Pinterest.